Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Should have bought a Boxster vice Solstice

I found the following exchange on a “Solstice” forum while googling Boxster info. The short version is a guy lamenting that he should have bought a Boxster after he took on a test drive in one, and then all the Solstice drivers piling on about how bad a Boxster is. The guy really liked his test drive, and all you will relate to what he was experiencing.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/should-have-bought-used-boxster-59800/

surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #2

I like reading those to see the contrast about different cars. It does help their cause that a previous boxster owner traded his boxster in for a solstice. It is an interesting read for sure.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Sorry but I'm not trading my girlie car for a Pontiac.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #4

I guess when you can't afford a porsche, just trash them.
Some of them talks boxster bad reliability record (consumer reports best predicted reliability and JD power no 1 in quality ratings) while driving a car that is below average (for NA) and way below average (for GXP turbo) according to consumer reports and JD Power.
I think the solstice and sky are the 2 least reliable roadsters that you can buy
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #5

When the Solstice first came out, I went over to look at the first one that arrived at the dealership. When I left, I said "I'd rather get a used Boxster than a new Solstice".
Old 04-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I also participte on a few Miata forums and they trash the Boxster relentlessly - mostly about its price and the cost of parts and service. I really like my Miata, its a great car but in no way comparable to a Boxster. Lots of P-car envy out there.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #7

It's really funny comparing the boxster to the miata, it makes the boxster look like a huge car.

That and when I sit in the miata my eyes look straight into the visor.

Even my friend whose wife owns one commented my boxster is much more solid and better built than their 2000 miata.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #8

Best comment is “at least I have a Pontiac dealer in my town and it's basically a parts car once you get past the platform, so parts should be plentiful and cheap. Solstice wins on just about every account, except it's not a Porsche, oh well. “
This Solstice thread is several years old when he did have a Pontiac dealer down the road. Not any more! :ah:
surf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #9

And how often do you hear someone say "Hey, look - a Pontiac!!"
Old 04-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #10

Pontiac used to be a great brand decades ago. I can remember riding around in my grandmother's "Tank" Bonneville back in the 70's...If it had floats, you really could call it a barge!! If there were any survivors out there today, they would make great smash up derby cars...

Now, the brand is defuncto so I really don't understand why people actually get thrilled about them, and to take it a step further, start up a bunch of redneck forums about them...10 years from now, most will be crushed or recycled...

Our cars will still be viable and I would go the distance and even say somewhat collectible if taken care of the correct way.

So, I'm sorry to say, the little solstice is a piece of **************** and I would laugh like hell if someone thought they really could compare it or a saturn sky to a boxster 986 or 987 platform car.

No comparison other than both cars have two doors and a convertible top. It stops right there!!!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

Lol, this thread is starting to remind me of some of the 911 guys looking down their noses at Boxsters.

BTW....Don't slam Pontiac too hard, ever ridden / driven a LS2 400 hp 400 ft lb. newer GTO? Yeah I know it handles like a pig compared to the Boxster, but it sure will put a different kind of grin on your face.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
My next door neighbor has the 4 banger...he lets me use his bay for work on my 2000 'S' all the time...I'll have to drive his car and see what I think, he likes it because he has very long legs. Gotta get him in my Boxster too, should be interesting.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #13

My Wife who recently received her PhD has a colleague at the college where she teaches who also just received her PhD. Her husband bought her a Solstice for her graduation present. It is funny when the 2 of them get talking cars, they always talk about the Boxster not about the Solstice.
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #14

When I first got interested in owning a roadster, Pontiac was just getting into production of the Solstice. I thought they looked pretty cool and would be affordable. I hung out on the forums and got as excited as the rest of them when they started to roll of the production lines and hit the showrooms.

Then I took one for a drive. "Yuck" would sum it up. It truly was a piece of junk. And worst of all, it felt like one.

One test drive in a Boxster and I was completely and utterly hooked. The difference in feel was galaxies apart.

And with the help of this great forum I've learned that so much of the car can be worked on yourself. I get a chuckle out of the Solstice forum guys saying an oil change on a Boxster is $500. Ha!

But, of course, to each his own. If they're happy with their bathtubs on wheels, all power to 'em. But we know what they're really missing out on.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #15

My friend has the GTO and I've driven it. I agree it has some good atributes, it's not Porsche like, but the power is fun and it's quick as snot. That said, at the end of the day, I'd never spend the money on the Pontiac, it's built horribly and handles worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
Lol, this thread is starting to remind me of some of the 911 guys looking down their noses at Boxsters.

BTW....Don't slam Pontiac too hard, ever ridden / driven a LS2 400 hp 400 ft lb. newer GTO? Yeah I know it handles like a pig compared to the Boxster, but it sure will put a different kind of grin on your face.
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #16

Ever watch Australian V8 Supercars? The GTO is basically a left hand drive Holden...Pontiac had to borrow from their Aussie counterparts.

Solstice is a POS...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
It's really funny comparing the boxster to the miata, it makes the boxster look like a huge car.

That and when I sit in the miata my eyes look straight into the visor.

Even my friend whose wife owns one commented my boxster is much more solid and better built than their 2000 miata.
Miata is a nice car for the money. I owned one. Even a t sea level you had to wait until you saw nobody coming before passing on a two lane road. Lots of fun to drive. But the Boxster is much safer, better built. Just no real comparison.

I wouldn't own a modern Corvette let alone a Solstice. Rather have a Miata.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #18

Garage
Comparing a solstice or a miata to a boxster, would be like comparing ripple to a finely vinted wine !