Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

cdr 220 radio?

ok ordering the aux cable bas 1319 which utilizes the phone c3 block on back of radio and turns into a 1/8 male jack for my sirius headunit.

now before i pay 30 for cable and 11 bucks for the keys, if i use keys and remove stereo from the dash will i lose power to stereo, therefore causing me to need the radio code which i dont have?

i mean i have a list of codes from this site that i compiled but car didnt come with the pretty leather pouch and all the manuals and code card.

thanks
steve
milton, fl

used 2001 boxster with most S option upgrades except engine.

stinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

Steve,
No, you won't lose power to the stereo necessitating code unless you also disconnect the other plugs on the back side. You should be able to get the C3 plug hooked up w/o doing so.

However, it'll be tight trying to fish it down/behind the radio frame w/ everything still connected (unless you have a helper to hold the radio. So, you may want to assemble the plug and wires first and feed them up from the bottom to the cavity so you can just pull the plug and connect while leaving everything else attached.

Couple of tips:
use a screwdriver in the head of the keys to pull with - it takes a fair amount of effort to pull - the key heads are sharp and could cut your hand. Effort to pull depends on how often radio was pulled and re-insterted previously.

Don't put the keys in until you want to pull the radio out b/c in order to release them, you must pull the h/u out push the blue tabs on each side to free them.

You should get your radio code. Some dealers will give them for free (most will now a days in my experience w/ proof of ownership, vin # and or radio serial #) or you can post your radio serial # in sticky thread of Boxster section over on Renntech.org and request it from Loren.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #3

well i got the data from the radio and based on someones post the radio exactly like mine, im pretty sure i have the code now. if not i got ten more codes as well.

im not going to try it unless i have to but ill be in good shape i think.

anyway just making sure the radio had wires and the HU didnt plug into a circuit board style which would break contact immediately.

that being said, ill order the part now because fm transmitter sucks ass. defeats the purpose of satellite.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

two more things regarding the radio code...

- check the build sticker on the underside of the hood as sometimes owners/dealers will write their code there. It may also be written on the label on top of the h/u itself. Regardless, once you have YOUR correct code, write it on either or both of these places for future reference/safe keeping.

- just b/c you have 10 possible codes, don't think you can keep trying until you find the correct one as h/u has a built in "protection" mode. Can't remember specifics but I think after the 3rd incorrect try you'll get a WAIT screen and must leave the ignition on for 15min before trying again. After a few more incorrect attempts, the WAIT screen is frozen for 60 ignition on minutes and so forth...

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

When I installed the iPhone/AUX audio cable to the CDR-220, I had to remove the power connector at the back of the radio to get enough room to install the other connector and to be able to run the cable down behind the radio.

Someone else with better skills than I might be able to do it without disconnecting the radio power, but that wasn't my experience so I'd recommend having the radio code handy.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

well the code i plan to use first will be the one that worked that loren gave a guy that had the same car, year, radio model, and all. the only diff is the serial number and that is supposed to be different.

either way, ill do my best to leave the power wire on the HU. i have skinny fingers so hopefully ill get lucky.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:27 AM   #7

If it's not too much trouble maybe you could take some pictures and post up a DIY on how to add the new cable, etc. I have the same radio, I think my code is 7475, the tag came with the owner's manual. Anyway the 10 disc changer is obsolete and I'd like an option for something better. Actually I'd be satisfied if the CD would play mp3 files but I guess that's never going to happen.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #8

im not a very good diy poster but ill help. in the old days i installed my own stuff. even on my 79 z28 i installed everything so i have some experience.

heres what i can tell you. the stereo keys go in one way only. you use them as the pulling tool as well as the key. if the stereo hasnt been removed before the key will hurt your fingers a little so any kind of glove just for a minute wouldnt hurt.

you dont have to remove any cables to install the bas 1319 aux cable. i rested the deck on one corner and the top of my gear shifter with no issues. the aux cable end which is blue only goes in one way and you can hear it snap in as there is a plastic locking tab built into the connector itself like most connectors on anything. it is almost exactly like a telephone or rj45 ethernet jack. you know the clip and snap. it goes into the upper drivers side of the back of the stereo. it only goes in one way, if you put it in the wrong way and push too hard you will bend the metal tabs on the stereo. thats not a big deal either. get a small flat screw driver and push that back to straight. and put the aux connector in the right way.

fishing the 1/8" male jack end was no big deal, you do have to pull the carpet trim away from the center console under the dash. its the area by your foot in the center of the car. but it snaps in as well just pull on it and it will pop off. that gives you access and visual to the fishing of the wire down the back side of the stereo hole.

leave keys in stereo and put stereo back in the hole. when its almost 90% in and you can barely see the blue clips on the sides of the stereo that the keys are holding in. use a flat screw driver to push on the closest area to the front of the blue 1" very thin metal in the stereo head unit itself and pull out the keys on each side. slide the stereo the rest of the way in and you are done.

Last edited by stinkboy; 04-23-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #9

stole pic from cup thread and did a dont give a crap paint mark on it. but this is what you pull on to get access to behind center to see all the wires and your fishing aux cable.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #10

I have the Becker decoder software. Give me the ser.# of the unit and I'll get you the code.

cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #11

im good thanks. the first dealer that sold to my used dealer found all the manuals and the spare key minus the guts of the key fob.

too bad about the windscreen being MIA. seems i need parts of the stock windscreen to make any aftermarket one work.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #12

Garage
Need code for stereo after disconnecting battery!

Hi,

Just disconnected battery to remove seat and when reattaching battery it's says CODE on my stock stereo - my car is a 1997 - how do I get this code??

Thanks.
Dgrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrange View Post
Hi,

Just disconnected battery to remove seat and when reattaching battery it's says CODE on my stock stereo - my car is a 1997 - how do I get this code??

Thanks.
go here
Lost Radio Code - post your request here - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums
Loren will hook you up..
He needs serial # and radio type information
Old 11-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #14

Porsche Resetting Radio Codes

Go here, run the java app, enter your radio serial number and voila, you have you code. It includes instructions of how to get the serial number without removing the radio.

I found this site when I unhooked my battery the first time and realized I didn't have the code after. 30 seconds after finding this site, I had my code and was back in business.

Sunsport is offline   Reply With Quote