Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #1

Suggestive Maintenence Advice Please?

Guys, I've had my car now for over three + years now. Mileage as of a run last night is almost 21k.

When I purchased with 13.5k miles, Jim Ellis Porsche in Atlanta completed the 15k service.

Since, I have had one oil change and general springtime service @ JPA Nashville two years ago other than having my mods in sig installed by both JPA and a local indy shop (highly recomended) in the Nashville area.

I'd like some advice on what I should do at this time, if anything??? The car drives and handles flawless. No oil spotting on the garage floor from a bad rms and no crazy hesitation problems or smoke from an old maf.

Basically she shows and drives like new other than some typical rock chips on the front bumper and bonnet.

Any ideas for maintenance this spring or do you think I'm good for another year? Thanks for your input! Just want to take good care of her.

Thanks, Jon

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 AM   #2

Garage
I change my oil each year regardless of mileage, cheap insurance and piece of mind.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #3

Garage
As boxster 6354 noted below, it is important to change the oil regularly. I change my oil every 3500 to 4000 miles. I believe it is also important to get the motor up to temp after you start it, this ensures that all the water moisture is evaporated from the oil after a cold start... I have over 209,000 miles on my 01.

Jager
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

209,000? Wow. So no IMS replacement? How many water pumps have you changed out? Maybe there's some hope for me as I just turned over 83k.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Had the last oil change @ 18000+ miles two years ago. Had my indy mechanic look at it last summer when I had the RoW setup and headers installed. He said it was fine.

Just wondered if necessary this year or if maybe something else should be looked at? Thanks for the comments.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
JTP

Even though your oil may look fine, there's no way to tell how much acid has built up in the oil without having it analyzed. General consensus is to have the oil changed atleast once per year if you drive less than 5000 miles. I change mine out every 4-5000 miles.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Had the last oil change @ 18000+ miles two years ago. Had my indy mechanic look at it last summer when I had the RoW setup and headers installed. He said it was fine.................

Good grief; along with an oil change, you need to change mechanics…………..
Old 04-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforrest2
209,000? Wow. So no IMS replacement? How many water pumps have you changed out? Maybe there's some hope for me as I just turned over 83k.
No IMS bearing replacement but someone on this site has rattled my cage enough that I will be replacing the IMS bearing in a couple weeks (I have a small oil leak, need to investigate). While I'm in there I am going to replace the RMS, flywheel, and clutch.

I replaced the water pump when the car had ~204,000 miles on it, not too long ago.

My 986 is the best car I have ever owned, it's the only car I've owned that has not left me stranded. I've been racking-up all these miles and not putting any money into it... I need to take care of it.

Jager

Last edited by Jager; 04-10-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Good grief; along with an oil change, you need to change mechanics…………..
You think? He's pretty damn good man...and been dealing with P-cars since the late 60's...

Guess I'll call for an oil change this week. Any other advice? Should I request maybe a coolant replacement too?

Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #10

Your car is 10 years old

and fluids, belts, tires, plastics all degrade with time as well as mileage.

I bought my "01 at ~42K miles and promptly did a 60k major service along with things it needed like brakes just to get a handle on where the maintenance was. Very reliable since over ~5 years so this year it is due for a 90K service at 58k just because I again want to establish a maintenance point.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #11

Thumbs up Jager

"I have over 209,000 miles on my 01."

Original motor Jager ?!? If so, unfrickin believable.
jdiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Guess I'll call for an oil change this week. Any other advice? Should I request maybe a coolant replacement too?[/QUOTE]

Quite a few items require replacement due to time and not mileage - not only oil, but your coolant (its not really lifetime) and brake / clutch fluid which needs replacing every 2 years.
It wouldn't be a bad thing to replace the poly-rib belt too - its only a few dollars and you can inspect the water pump and idler rollers at the same time.
One these relatively simple jobs are out of the way, you will be good for another few years.....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
No IMS bearing replacement but someone on this site has rattled my cage enough that I will be replacing the IMS bearing in a couple weeks (I have a small oil leak, need to investigate). While I'm in there I am going to replace the RMS, flywheel, and clutch.

I replaced the water pump when the car had ~204,000 miles on it, not too long ago.

My 986 is the best car I have ever owned, it's the only car I've owned that has not left me stranded. I've been racking-up all these miles and not putting any money into it... I need to take care of it.

Jager
Let us know what the IMS bearing looks like on a 209,000 miles vehicle, please.

thanks
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Rennzenn

Garage
Absolutely, flush the brake fluid. Porsche states the service interval on brake fluid to be every two years. I'm surprised your mechanic hasn't suggested this.
Might also want to change the trans oil.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Guess I'll call for an oil change this week. Any other advice? Should I request maybe a coolant replacement too?
So have I, and I would never let a customer go 18,000 miles on an oil change.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #16

Never went that much. What I meant by that was that my last oil change was at 18000+ miles...I now have 21,000.

You would have to be crazy to run a vehicle 18k with no change out..

Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 AM   #17

first 10 years (70K miles) only one repair: throttle body that went south.

Now for the major maintenance and a few unexpecteds

Clutch, flywheel, IMS upgrade, rear axle service, starter and alternator $4,000.

Shocks, including new mounts (old were shot and cracked), air oil separator, brake pads, ignition switch, new cats and exhaust, new tires (RE-10). and repairing two dented wheels ~$5,000.

it adds up...as they say with Porsche: you can pay me now or you can pay me later but you will pay ....sooner or later.

p.s.
anyone want to buy a Porsche?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 04-11-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager
someone on this site has rattled my cage enough that I will be replacing the IMS bearing
Wait a minute? There's a fear monger lurking around here someplace? I don't believe you. Where?

Congrats on the 209k

As for the OPs request for SUGGESTIVE maintenance... sorry, all I could find was some related to BMW but here you go (they're not that hot either but trying to help out):

sub5zero.com/girls/hot-girls-power-tools-working-bmw-rally-car

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiba
"I have over 209,000 miles on my 01."

Original motor Jager ?!? If so, unfrickin believable.
Yes, original motor. The only work done on the car are brakes, windshield replacement, a new top, water pump replacement, AOS replacement, a couple sets of plugs, a couple new belts, lots of oil/filter changes, fuel filter changes, and many sets of tires!

Last edited by Jager; 04-11-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Let us know what the IMS bearing looks like on a 209,000 miles vehicle, please.

thanks
I will take a few pictures while I'm doing the work... I will provide a close-up of the old bearing.

I have most of the new parts required, but still waiting for LN Engineering to deliver the bearings and tool kit. I am buying both the single row and double row bearings, that way I will have the correct bearing assembly when I start the work. What ever bearing I don't use I will send back to LN Engineering.

Jager