Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #1

Red face Pse ???huh!

I recently bought a 2000 Boxster S. It came with a PSE system on the car. I am under the impression that this exhaust had a loud and quiet mode depending on some sort of valve. HOW DO I OPEN THAT! LOL! My car does not have a sport button as many of my other cars did. What next. It would be nice to make it a little louder. It is very quiet with no changer over stock. Thanks so much, still figuring this out.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #2

Since there is no sport button can it be manually opened?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibovr6
I recently bought a 2000 Boxster S. It came with a PSE system on the car. I am under the impression that this exhaust had a loud and quiet mode depending on some sort of valve. HOW DO I OPEN THAT! LOL! My car does not have a sport button as many of my other cars did. What next. It would be nice to make it a little louder. It is very quiet with no changer over stock. Thanks so much, still figuring this out.
From what I understand, the button was introduced with the later model of PSE which was fitted to 2003+ cars. The older PSE version does not have a button or switch of any sort.. Does it look like this?

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #4

Yup, thats my exhaust. It was put on later by the Porsche dealer from the previous owner. It really has no sound difference from a stock exhaust.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed
From what I understand, the button was introduced with the later model of PSE which was fitted to 2003+ cars. The older PSE version does not have a button or switch of any sort.. Does it look like this?

Hey that's my car! No really it is as I used to have that exhaust. It has to have a switch to open the baffles. You can remove the vacuum lines and tie open the valves. It will give you a low throaty sound..very nice but not so aesthetically pleasing.

Chris
Old 04-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #6

Garage
I thought the way the system operated was at a certain RPM (3-4,000) the valves opened. That way while you're in and around residential neighborhoods it's quiet and on the open road it could let loose with no input from the driver. The button was only used for manual "stimulation" of the exhaust tone at low RPM's. So with that being said, if you don’t hear a distinctive change in exhaust tone at a high RPM I think you should remove the PSE and send it to me.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #7

Talking

and if Jax feels it is not good enough for him I would be willing to take it off your hands
Old 04-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #8

As the system was installed post delivery, unless the dealer installed all the electronics and vacuum operated stuff, the “default mode” is open or as loud as it is going to get. If the they did install the control system, it will operate pretty much as Jaxonalden described………….
Old 04-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibovr6
Yup, thats my exhaust. It was put on later by the Porsche dealer from the previous owner. It really has no sound difference from a stock exhaust.

The installer must have set the butterfly valves in the closed position...Need them in open configuration...

You need to take it to a dealer or indy p-car guy that knows how to configure the Eisenmann made variant 1 PSE, and you will hear a howl like no other.

Couple that to fabspeed bypass pipes, headers and a de-snorkle and the car sounds like a full race car when opened up.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #10

Again, there is nothing that needs to be "set", the default position for the PSE is “open”, or loud; if you take one out of the box and put it on the car with out connecting the vacuum lines, it is already in the “loud” configuration. To get it to close, you have to connect the vacuum lines to the diaphragms, or pull them shut and wire them in the “closed” position; otherwise it is open.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-12-2011 at 02:29 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #11

I don't know guys, I upgraded to the PSE and although it sounds nice, I was rather disappointed in it. I am desnorked but don't have the fabspeed headers or bypass pipes. Maybe that's the key to loudness but geez it would be a small fortune for all of that just to make some noise. I thought just the PSE and I would be good to go, but alas, it wasn't so.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #12

I'm waiting for someone to install aftermarket electric cut-outs. Cheaper, and you can set the butterfly to any position from fully closed to full open. You would just need to find a location for the control switch. You could even pipe them in as a PSE type system.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #13

The first PSE was never really meant to be “loud”, but rather more “throaty” in its sound (Europe had stringent noise level limits, particularly Switzerland). One thing it does not do is create the annoying and headache inducing drone most aftermarket systems do.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #14

What are they getting used? I would sell mine, it is in great shape on a low milage car and an OEM unit.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #15

Original PSE's go for quite a lot used. $1200 and up on eBay.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote