Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Rodent Damage

Hey everyone,

It had been kind of a crazy week for me. Thought I'd share what happened. On Wednesday I scheduled an appointment with Pedro (the pedrosgarage Pedro) to have my starter motor looked at because it was making an odd noise that I know others have experienced. Minutes after taking out the firewall, we found a mouse nest in between my engine and transmission. Those little buggers had eaten away at several wires in my engine bay. The car is fixed now, but sheesh, who knew that they could cause so much damage! I suspect that the nest came with me from Buffalo when I moved to Florida since I know that the mice like to escape the freezing winters up north and my garage down here is much more secure. Anyways, just wanted to see ... Has anyone else experienced this problem?

9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #2

Never underestimate the potential of little creatures to do damage to man made things.....
Old 04-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #3

Garage
Those little f**ckers are incessant !!! Certain that it is, I've had my battles with them over the years. Last fall I discovered one dead behind the carpeting in the rear trunk .
Trying to get rid of the odor was like trying to get the stink out of ******************** !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 04-03-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Those little f**ckers are incessant !!! Certain that it is, I've had my battles with them over the years. Last fall I discovered one dead behind the carpeting in the rear trunk .
Trying to get rid of the odor was like trying to get the stink out of ******************** !
Did it ever go away?
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
A common problem in SoCal especially during autumn.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #6

Never had rodent problems, but sucked up a red cardinal in my drivers side front bumper opening one day driving through the country...

Saw the little guy coming close while doing about 90 on a back road, but thought he diverted away from the car...

Little be known, after about three days, my garage smelled of death, so I figured I'd check and there he was, smacked flat against the radiator...

Good thing I got to him when I did and no further deterioration had occured......took take a pair of needle nose pliars and carefully removed...came out without any issues.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze551
Did it ever go away?
Yes. But, it took more disinfectant, perfume, cologne, room spray, air freshener or anything else that I could find than a Hong Kong nookie house would have !!!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #8

Yeah, I found a nest on top of the engine, and next to the cabin air filter. Luckily no damage that I found. Since then I have repaired the door sill of my garage, and seem to be fairly rodent free! It's a steel sided "pole barn" , so at least they can't chew their way in.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #9

You should be able to make an insurance claim for rodent damages.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #10

Not sure about the rodent damages insurance claim. Last month, I had a fire in my BMW X5, determined to be caused by a weasel. Pretty scary for my wife. Fire melted the vacuum lines for the power brakes, and she was at speed on the autobahn!

Anyway, my insurance paid the claim, but the adjuster said it was only because there was fire. If it was only the rodent damage, I couldn't claim it. Thank goodness for fire!

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #11

I was at the quick lube oil change place and a guy in a big Ford pickup had experienced rodent damage and was using Coyote (sp) urine to scare the mice away. The guys at the oil change place didn't care for it, lol.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
kls

I had mice make a nest and chew up the wires in an ATV, and once you smell a nest you won't forget it - partially because it never goes away. As a precaution, I now leave a bar of poison out for them and the problem is resolved. Hide a bar or two around your garage and they'll find them.
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #13

Garage
I had mice get to my wife's toyota and a little bit on my boxster. They ate wires on wife's car overnight to the ponit that it wouldn't start. Insurance paid all but the deductable. Both the shop and the adjuster said this wasn't unusual, they get a number of thses things a year. On the boxster I caught it before anything bad happened. They had started a nest and had pieces of apple on top of the engine.

bmcuscgr94 is offline   Reply With Quote