Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #21

I noticed this on my car to, just a few drops once every few months though, not an often occurence. Should this be something to worry about? I'm taking my car in to get the brakes changed along with the temp control and convertibel top maybe I'll ask them to take a look.

iluvboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvboxsters
I noticed this on my car to, just a few drops once every few months though, not an often occurence. Should this be something to worry about? I'm taking my car in to get the brakes changed along with the temp control and convertibel top maybe I'll ask them to take a look.
The only way to find out is to drop the tranny. So you might as well get the clutch done at the same time you're doing the IMS and RMS. Budget $3-4000 (this is Canada, after all).

PS, if by temperature control you're talking about the whole HVAC controller box in your console, the part alone is around $600 IIRC, from my local stealer. Prob much less from Suncoast, and a real easy DIY replacement. But you'd want to confirm that's the problem first, of course.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 AM   #23

Thanks Norm, I've found the Temp control unit on ebay for about 200, but definitely want to make sure that's the problem. My current clutch has been going strong for 7 years, I don't race it, don't abuse it and only very rarely rev it up. Still works great, I don't anticipate needing to change the clutch anytime soon.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #24

My point is that, if you want to deal with the oil drip issue, you have to drop the tranny. If you're there anyways, it'll likely be worthwhile doing the clutch at the same time.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:56 AM   #25

Quote:
My current clutch has been going strong for 7 years, I don't race it, don't abuse it and only very rarely rev it up. Still works great, I don't anticipate needing to change the clutch anytime soon.
You can always just replace the disk. They are a wear item.
And the labor is FREE!!

Last edited by Frank M; 04-06-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #26

Quote:
My current clutch has been going strong for 7 years, I don't race it, don't abuse it and only very rarely rev it up.
You'll find a number of people that say that taking it easy on these engines is the worst thing you can do (e.g. poorer oil circulation). Your choice at the end of the day, but I say if you've got it, why not use it?
Old 04-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #27

Fair enough, I'm going to go rip it down the streets right now
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Fair enough, I'm going to go rip it down the streets right now
By the way, I'm not advocating breaking laws in any way. But if you have a choice of 2000 rpm or 5000 rpm, I know which I'd choose.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #29

Leaking oil

I know since the tranny is already out to replace the RMS you should probably replace the clutch and replace the IMS with the LN kit, however the Porsche dealers within driving distance won't do it. (southern Delaware) They will only replace the RMS, clutch, and IMS seal. I can't find and Indy shop nearby that will do it.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123
I know since the tranny is already out to replace the RMS you should probably replace the clutch and replace the IMS with the LN kit, however the Porsche dealers within driving distance won't do it. (southern Delaware) They will only replace the RMS, clutch, and IMS seal. I can't find and Indy shop nearby that will do it.
The Porsche dealer likely doesn't want to recognize that a method exists of replacing the IMS bearing without having to tear down the engine. Even if they do, they won't use the LN bearing over Porsche's.

You might want to consider putting it on a truck and sending it to Jake.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #31

I'm confused why you're doing the IMS upgrade on a '99 to begin with.

The early cars (thru '99) don't have catastrophic IMS failure.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 AM   #32

I'm not going to do the IMS upgrade. I just thought it was a good idea since they already have the tranny out. I'm only doing the RMS/IMS gasket replacement.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'm confused why you're doing the IMS upgrade on a '99 to begin with.

The early cars (thru '99) don't have catastrophic IMS failure.
Apparently the 97-99's are not immune:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18280
Old 04-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #34

I noticed today that I had a drop of oil on the mating area between engine and trans today while changing the oil. I have a '00 non-S Tip. I see all the talk about "while you're in there, do the IMS", but I've never seen anyone post what that actually ends up costing.

what does having the RMS cost to get repaired (it's just a gasket right?) and what's it cost to have the "IMS done" (not really sure what "gets done" on this one)

thanks fellas.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #35

Holy cow, State, you need to spend a little more time on the forum!!

Check out Post 7 in this thread.

The RMS is the rear main seal, which is easily pulled out and a new one pushed in with the proper depth-setting tool.

The IMS refers to the bearing under the Intermediate Shaft Seal. With the proper procedure and tools, the old bearing is popped out and a new one pushed in.

Both with the tranny out, of course.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
I noticed today that I had a drop of oil on the mating area between engine and trans today while changing the oil. I have a '00 non-S Tip. I see all the talk about "while you're in there, do the IMS", but I've never seen anyone post what that actually ends up costing.

what does having the RMS cost to get repaired (it's just a gasket right?) and what's it cost to have the "IMS done" (not really sure what "gets done" on this one)

thanks fellas.
My mechanic charged me 10 hrs of labor (manual car, couple hours more for tip) for IMS, RMS, clutch and trans input seal. He said for RMS and clutch, he charge 8 hrs of labor.
parts cost breakdown:
RMS cost around $20
IMS $519 (single row bearing)
clutch $684
trans input seal $12.50
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #37

Hey click, I understand the difference, but I was more interested in knowing the cost of having it fixed. I read all the time on here about people that have had them "updated" and replaced and whatnot, but no one ever says what it costs non-DIY. Post below your's is kinda what I was lookin' for (thanks laphan).

now.. brace yourselves... stupid question comin' hard and fast...

my tiptronic doesn't have a clutch right? maybe a torque converter? if i got my RMS leak taken care of, should i have them do anything to 1 of those 2 above items while it's out?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Hey click, I understand the difference, but I was more interested in knowing the cost of having it fixed. I read all the time on here about people that have had them "updated" and replaced and whatnot, but no one ever says what it costs non-DIY. Post below your's is kinda what I was lookin' for (thanks laphan).

now.. brace yourselves... stupid question comin' hard and fast...

my tiptronic doesn't have a clutch right? maybe a torque converter? if i got my RMS leak taken care of, should i have them do anything to 1 of those 2 above items while it's out?
you have a flex plate and torque converter instead of clutch system. You have to remove the transmission (which is 90% of the work) to replace the RMS. IMS is just underneath the RMS, I would replace it at the same time with LN unit. Also, I heard some trans oil pump issue with earlier tiptronic transmission (I read somewhere that porsche released a TSB for it) which is accessible with trans removed from the car. I replaced the trans input seal because I have no plan on removing transmission again.
laphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #39

Your Tip, being an automatic, does not have a clutch, but it does have a torque converter. I don't know if you need to do anything on the tranny, but I know if I had the tranny out I'd change the lube.

If you do a search, you'll find that those with automatics usually cost more to do the IMS and RMS, and some shops find it easier to drop the engine and tranny together, rather than just the tranny, and then split them to get at the RMS and IMS.

You might want to consider getting some other things done at that point, when access to the engine is much easier, like the AOS and water pump.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28496&highlight=tip
Old 04-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #40

RMS /IMS leak

Quote:

thanks fellas.
I can tell you what the dealer is charging me. $3650 to replace the RMS, clutch, IMS flange/oring and oil separator. They won't do the IMS bearing, they said they would check it though? I still waiting to hear what they found out. I wouldn't recommend taking it to a dealer. Find an independent shop that will do the IMS bearing while in there. It will probably cost you the same or less than what I'm going to end up paying.