Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Anyone in Hawaii??

Hey Folks!

It's been a long while since I've been on the Forum...but I'm glad to be back!
Anyway, just wanted to know if there are any cool members in Honolulu / Waikiki?? Looks like I'll be moving there for work and will have my ride in storage while I'm away. Would certainly appreciate meeting new friends so I don't miss my ride so much!

Let me know!!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

-D
P.S. Send me an email : dgc1999 "at" optonline "dot" net

dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #2

6speedonline Boxster/Cayman forum has few members from Honolulu there. I don't recall seiing any from here or Rennlist.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #3

Having spent some time on the islands, I say, either bring your ride or get your hands on a Boxster while you're there. Staying away from the rougher roads, what a great place for a fun convertible!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 AM   #4

How long will you be working in the Islands? If any length of time, I'd ship the car over and enjoy it. Been around the Islands many years on trips and would really like to enjoy the roads in a Boxster.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

Hey Folks!

Thanks for the replies jmatta & clickman ....gonna be there at least 6 months and was contemplating on shipping my ride.... thoughts of not having it around is pretty depressing... :ah:

Cas951 - thanks for the info...I will take a look...

-D
dcporsche99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

If I was you, I'd do a cross-country ride to LA or SF and put the car on the boat from there. Considerate it a worthwhile kickoff to a stay in one of the most beautiful places on the planet.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
JTP

I'm from Maui and have shipped several vehicles to and from the West coast. Typically it takes less than a week for the transport but they will tell you up to three weeks. Contact Matson shipping. I would ship it from Oakland or Seattle as they are less backed up than LA. Be sure to ask if your car will be in a container. Usually I had no problems but my sister inlaw's Corolla arrived in Kahului with the interior soaked with seawater.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Lightbulb Hawaii

I am coming into this thread about a year late. I have shipped sports cars to Hawaii after driving across county, sometimes both ways. Great fun. I could do it again. What I mean by coast to coast, is I drove my front wheels down a boat ramp so that the Atlantic splashed around my tires. Then did the same thing in the Pacific before taking it to the docks and shipping it across the sea.

Most of the sports cars shipped here by regular people are military. It is very rare to see a sports car with out of state plates that are not military. This is probably because the military ships for free. Due to the high cost of shipping it makes more sense to ship them here than to ship them away. All cars in Hawaii have been shipped at least one way and this is incorporated into the value. If you ship the car back you have twice the shipping cost capitalized in the cars value in a market against other cars that do not. Leave it here.

On a cost basis I would figure the round trip shipping expense against that of a renta car. The longer that you stay the more advantageous it is to bring your own car. This is unless you have a Boxster and it is a sunny day. In that case bring it if you are only staying a weekend, because that is what these cars are all about. And oh yeah it is always a sunny day somewheres in Hawaii.

If you plan to stay, get Hawaii plates as soon as you can. A Porsche with Hawaii plates gets enough notice from enforcement. But if they know that they cannot pull up your information on there computer screens, with your foreign plates, they will pull you over and write it in there personal books. Bring your V1, put on Hawaii plates and just blend in easier instead of getting temporary permits. When you first arrive they have special deals for visiting the other islands with your wheels, so at least ask about it. You will still be able to use the Hawaii plates when you get back to the mainland.

Sumflow is offline   Reply With Quote