Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 AM   #1

spacers

Hi everyone.My mechanic does not recommend the use of spacers on my Boxster 2000.I wonder why as a lot of forum users have them.I have just installed 7mm front and 15mm back and love the look and the handling.Has any of you had adverse affect on the long term with them.I read that there is minimum affect on the bearings.Is my mechanic beeing overly causcious or does he have a point.I don't want to remove them.Thanks for any input.I know the subject has been discussed more than once but there are new owners that might like the pros and cons.

lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahalte
Hi everyone.My mechanic does not recommend the use of spacers on my Boxster 2000.I wonder why as a lot of forum users have them.I have just installed 7mm front and 15mm back and love the look and the handling.Has any of you had adverse affect on the long term with them.I read that there is minimum affect on the bearings.Is my mechanic beeing overly causcious or does he have a point.I don't want to remove them.Thanks for any input.I know the subject has been discussed more than once but there are new owners that might like the pros and cons.
Your mechanic may have point in cases where generic spacers (i.e. not hucentric/variable bolt patterns) are used. However, if the proper application is utilized, there's nothing wrong with using them . In fact, most instances involving wheel augmentation require them .
Old 03-30-2011, 06:38 AM   #3

I've had the same setup (7-15) for a long time, in excess of 50K miles. Many track days included in those miles. No issues whatsoever. From my experience, I'd say your mechanic is being too cautious. And I don't remember reading anything at all, here or anywhere else, about someone having problems due to these width spacers. Of course, as always...ymmv!

Regarding the handling...I haven't a clue if spacers this small would do anything at all (or at least perceptible) for handling. The small increase in width should, I guess, theoretically, improve handling a bit. But I couldn't perceive any difference after I first put them on.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

Spacers slightly reduce the stiffness of the suspension. It's such a small percentage of the lever arm that I doubt it's perceptable.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #5

+1 on using the spacers.....

I've had this same set-up for the last few years. I've never had anyone tell me anything bad about this set-up and there's been no issues from the use of the spacers that I've seen.

2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote