Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #1

New owner w/ security question!

Hi guys im new owner of 1999 boxster. I took delivery of car this past wednesday. I have been reading on the board for some time now. And have seen how expensive all the keys and etc. are. My car came w/ 2 keys, however neither has a locking mechanism nor hood release on them. They both work well in ignition and both doors. Each has the one button key light head on it.
My question is this, since neither of my keys came w/ alarm feature does this mean my car has no alarm, or do i simply need to buy new key head and have it programmed for alarm operation. It would be great to have keyless access to car w/out having to unlock doors manually but this is secondary to enabling alarm in my opinion. Can i set alarm w/ out key. Thanks for any help.

nautiquelfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:44 PM   #2

You do not have the factory alarm option. That is why your key head has a single button for the light. You have to go aftermarket. I call these the lease special with no options. We have a few local owners like that.

You still have the immobilizer like cars with the alarm option.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #3

little more information

thanks for the information, is there a specific aftermarket theft/keyless entry system that instals well on boxster. I'm not afraid to install myself but would prefer something that would not involve soldering into my fuse box. Any thing you guys have to offer is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:29 AM   #4

Talking

One other possibility is that your previous owner cheaped out and replaced lost keys with Valet Keys. If this is so, you are in luck.

A trip to the dealer should sort this out quickly.

Make sense Toolpants?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:22 AM   #5

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2880&hl=alarm
Old 06-05-2005, 09:44 AM   #6

I installed a matrix responder on my 2000 boxster without a problem. It wasn't too hard to install, but took around 7 hours. You can fit everything under the driver seat pretty easily. The alarm itself is awsome and it pages you when the alarm goes off.
pl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #7

Wish it were'nt true but

Sadly i believe toolpants is correct, it seems the keys i received are the original keys. I was reading the manual and checked the security alarm section. The sensors that are located on the upper interior light are not there, only black blanks. I guess there will be no parking the car top down at the market or anywhere else for that matter. I will be looking into aftermarket kits in the next month or so. I first have to get over initial financial shock of the car purchase (ie, insurance boost, new tag, etc.). I refuse to let this discovery bring me down, im so proud. Thanks for the replies guys and if anyone else has had luck w/ aftermarket equipment please keep it coming.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #8

The valet key does not have a light.

If you want to make sure no one played around with the key. If you do not have a remote alarm then you have a door lock key hole on the passenger side in addition to the drivers side. With the remote alarm there is only a key hole on the drivers side.

535 is the option code for the remote control alarm. You can see if this number is on your option sticker. If for some reason you do not have the option sticker then look under the drivers seat for the alarm control unit. There is a white sticker on the control unit and if you have the alarm then M535 is on the sticker.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #9

Thanks for all your help Toolpants!

Sorry this turned out this way!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #10

box under drivers seat

Hey guys, thanks so much for assistance. I checked under seat box says M531. Also the passenger side has a lock rather than a blank. I guess i can use the door plug i bought for the drivers side for the passenger side. I was overly eager i suppose, turns out i will need access to the drivers lock after all. I will commend the look the bumper plugs gave though money well spent. Thanks again guys and still looking for sources for aftermarket alarm/keyless entry kits.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #11

There is a guy on Pelican just like you.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224774