Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #1

buying old low mileage parts

quick question, a forum member recently had his car parted by salvage broker who I got in touch with (sorta an unexpected hassle). One Boxster wreck from this broker was low miles (under 10K) but still 10 years old. Are 02 sensors and MAF a bad move? If not what would you pay for these?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #2

used parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
quick question, a forum member recently had his car parted by salvage broker who I got in touch with (sorta an unexpected hassle). One Boxster wreck from this broker was low miles (under 10K) but still 10 years old. Are 02 sensors and MAF a bad move? If not what would you pay for these?
Perfectlap;

IMHO you should be Ok, at home I have an '88 Alfa Romeo and also an '86 X1/9 and I have many used (and new) spares on my garage (required to keep them running)

Regarding price..? I guess that you should be able to get these components for a few dollars.

However is best to get the parts from a known person or a forum member because the salvage yards will also 'very low mileage...' ( yeah sure), because they "may" keep a record on the expensive components like an engine or gearbox.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #3

thanks,
I guess I'm weighing this since these are expensive parts that I can't really see a downside with going used. But a roughly 50% discount doesn't seem that fantastic given that they're 10 years old and of course come with no warranty.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #4

Both parts are pretty critical to proper operation of the engine.

A used part such as this is a risk, and both parts are relatively sensitive to rough or improper handling.

And, you won't know if they'll work until they are installed.

What's your backup plan if they don't work? Locate more used parts or buy new?

If buying more used parts, you're just tossing the dice again.

If buying new, well then you've just paid more than retail and had to do the work twice.

All things to consider.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #5

I think there is a dividing line between second hand electrical / electronic componants and used mechanical parts.

Many (all) electronic componants that are stored from new in their original packaging are usually still good after several years, but those same parts that have been used and then placed on a warehouse shelf or left "in situ" can degrade at an alarming rate - especially if there is high humidity or cold damp conditions.
I was a maintenance engineer before I retired and would treat used electrical / electronic componants with high suspicion, whereas I would store & install good used mechanical parts (obviously subject to inspection) without a problem.

One of the biggest problems we are seeing in the manufacturing industry is the breakdown of the electronic control componantry purely as a result of aging - even if the control system is working 100% one day, the next you can have a complete failure for no apparent reason.
This is going to be the killer for a lot of cars over (say) 15-20 years old in the near future - especially those that have marginal quality ECU's.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:48 AM   #6

As a general rule I don't buy used electrical parts and wouldn't take a chance on critical parts such as an MAF or O2 sensor unless I got them for free from a known source, like a friend parting out a car with known history. Patching up a car to sell might be another story...

That said, I did buy a used wiper motor for about 1/3rd the cost of new and it's been.

If you're in for the long haul, and it sounds like you are, buy critical electrical parts new.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #7

A 50% discount from what figure

Dealer's asking price for new part
Dealer's discounted to PCA members price for new part
Online order new Porsche part
Online new OEM part which is often 40-50% less than the highest of the above for OS sensors and MAFs

So I'd have to get the part for 20% of list for it to be worth the risk. And I love to take risks but only ones that are liable to pay off and after going to the trouble of buying, storing, maybe using, installing and then finding it bad it would have to be a great deal. Not being sure how long you are going to keep the car makes this a really chancy idea. Crash it and you wasted your $. Blow an engine or trans and you may have if you decide to junk it or part it out.

IMHO, YMMV

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote