Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #1

Side view mirror whistle questions. Car is at dealer now

So the whistle from the side view mirrors is a well known documented issue on the 05 Boxster cars. Seems like it is due to the seam in the mirror which can be caulked or the mirror can be removed and fixed from within. Again, a well known issue usually fixed by the dealer (while under warranty) for no charge. I drop off my 05 S last night and speak to the service manager this am. He says he is not aware of any issue with the whistle and since the car is out of warranty they will need to charge me for the diagnostic and repair of this. I was pretty clear when speaking to him of how this is a well knows issue, etc and should be fixed. He basically said since the previous owner never complained about the whistle it's too late and they now will charge me for the repair.

I'm about 80% sure I am going to tell them to forget about it and I will do it myself (even though I have no idea how to remove the mirrors). This is Porsche # 5 for me and not once have I been thrilled with the service I have received on thiese cars.....Is it me or should they fix this whistle issue for no charge???

Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31
Is it me or should they fix this whistle issue for no charge???
as the owner of a whistler i'd say "yes they should fix it" but then logic steps in and... no. it's out of warranty, isn't a safety issue, there's been no recall ever on a whistling mirror housing...

i'd like to see them recall and fix the IMS bearing problem before my whistling mirror. i don't expect either one to happen...
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

Out of curiosity, ask what the cost will be to R&R. If they come up w/ a price too quickly, then you know they're jerking you around. Also curious if you threw them a bone like an oil change or some other maintenance in addition to this request or took it in just to get this work done for gratis on a car out of warranty? No worries, there are plenty of other p-dealers in Philly area you can patronize in the future.

In the mean time, DIY fix is simple enough... just lay a bead of clear silicone caulk inside the housing where the seam is and all will be fine. Shouldn't take you but 30-45min tops to do and then let the silicone cure for a few hours.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Out of curiosity, ask what the cost will be to R&R. If they come up w/ a price too quickly, then you know they're jerking you around. Also curious if you threw them a bone like an oil change or some other maintenance in addition to this request or took it in just to get this work done for gratis on a car out of warranty? No worries, there are plenty of other p-dealers in Philly area you can patronize in the future.

In the mean time, DIY fix is simple enough... just lay a bead of clear silicone caulk inside the housing where the seam is and all will be fine. Shouldn't take you but 30-45min tops to do and then let the silicone cure for a few hours.

Good luck
I would DIY it but does the mirror need to come completely off to do this?

Guess I assumed too much with this fix. To me, it seemed like the issue was so well known the dealers were fixing it as it was as known design flaw.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31
....He basically said since the previous owner never complained about the whistle it's too late and they now will charge me for the repair.
SeaNile, Hope you are enjoying the new car. Hearing the dealer said what I quoted above really gets under my skin...what the heck does the previous owner have to do with this. Heck fix it yourself, clear silicone should do the trick...if the 987 is anything like the 986 the mirrors should come off pretty easy...though it likely doesn't need to.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

I find this funny. The dealer call today after a brief road test and they confirmed the whistle. Ironic how they immediately knew the fix, to take the mirror off and lay a bead of silicone on the joint which will eliminate the whistle (which is what I told them the fix was after asking the question on here and other Pcar sites). Best part...the dealer broke the glass mirror and needed to order a replacement. I'm OK with the $130 spent to fixit and it was well worth the chuckle when they told me the fix and how they broke the mirror.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Too funny...well now you have new glass. Is this only an issue with 987s?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

I have an 06 with this issue on the passenger side when the window is down. Is this the seam that is located on the inside split mirror supports(where the two halves join?
Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan
I have an 06 with this issue on the passenger side when the window is down. Is this the seam that is located on the inside split mirror supports(where the two halves join?

Yes, that is exactly the spot. I used scotch tape on the seam to confirm the location and when the tape was on the whistle was gone.