Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2023, 09:22 AM   #1

Garage
Windshield replacement

Dear All,

I need a new windshield and just wondering if any of you have replaced your windshield recently and would share some experience on this.

Specifically: a local company quoted me $350, I assume that`s an average price. They build in aftermarket windshields, but I assume that won`t include the incorporated antenna. What are my options on a substitute?

Or, alternatively, I could go with a used windshield and get them build that in (I`m not sure if they would be willing to).

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:14 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I've paid $300 to $350 for windshields a few years ago. The ones installed were 'Pilkington' brand with the antenna. With inflation, I'd think that $350 installed is a good price now.
There are plenty of options for aftermarket antennas is you get a windshield without one.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:31 PM   #3

Garage
Ok, thanks, looks like that`s easiest way to go then.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:19 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Don't assume that an aftermarket windshield from an installer does not have the antenna

I have had the windshield replace on both my 986 and my 996 and no antenna issues

On at least one, I used safelite
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Don't assume that an aftermarket windshield from an installer does not have the antenna

I have had the windshield replace on both my 986 and my 996 and no antenna issues

Same here. Safelite did a decent job, and the replacement has the antenna. I think around 450 bucks.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:25 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Ok, thanks, looks like that`s easiest way to go then.
Do you have a shop that will install your windshield? If so, could you share the name and location of the shop? I looked for one last year and the cost was about twice of your quote. And that was def without the antenna.

Thanks
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:58 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Do you have a shop that will install your windshield? If so, could you share the name and location of the shop? I looked for one last year and the cost was about twice of your quote. And that was def without the antenna.

Thanks
+1 I'd be interested too
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post

Thanks
I went to the windshield shop right by the Pick n pull yard in San Jose. I think each yard has a shop like that, but they use new windshields. That`s where I got the quote a few months back. I forgot to ask about the antenna though, I`ll ask them again once I get there and post it here.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:58 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
I went to the windshield shop right by the Pick n pull yard in San Jose. I think each yard has a shop like that, but they use new windshields. That`s where I got the quote a few months back. I forgot to ask about the antenna though, I`ll ask them again once I get there and post it here.
My windshield is showing wear and tear from 20+ years but I always hesitate replacing it cause I assume I will pay a premium living in the bay area.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:45 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benitom View Post
I will pay a premium living in the bay area.
If i can`t save on the living at least I save on cars
Old 01-23-2023, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post

+ 1 on Safelite, when I had to replace the windshield on my 987CS, the first question they asked was if the car had an integrated antenna or not which my car did, and they installed a new one with antenna and never had an issue..

The Safelite installer came to my work and took him about a couple of hours to install the new windshield.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote