Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #61

Finally Someone Understands

Great study D18Mike. Like most of us here, I heartily agree with their conclusions.

schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #62

I hesitated to post my opinion on this topic because of it's stupidity, but my neighbor drives a Mercedes SLK...I think this particular auto has much more of a "chick car" perception than a Boxster, any day. I also know a fair number of 911 diehards that are becoming Boxster converts, after having the opportunity to drive one...I don't think they are concerned with their "image".
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #63

This doesn't help...

http://www.planet-9.com/regan-steedman/55633-journey-begins.html

BTW... I'm not disparaging the young lady, her enthusiasm, or her race car. Good luck to her. But a pink boxster reinforces this thread.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 03-31-2011 at 02:41 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #64

It's not a chick car when your Boxster has 400HP behind the seats
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #65
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
This doesn't help...

http://www.planet-9.com/regan-steedman/55633-journey-begins.html

BTW... I'm not disparaging the young lady, her enthusiasm, or her race car. Good luck to her. But a pink boxster reinforces this thread.
Regardless of color, I bet she can outdrive 90% of male forum members here. A pretty girl that speaks car talk and can drive!

Like Perfectlap said, "it is well established that women who track/autox their P-cars are not chicks but babes."
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #66

2 seat mid-engined open top sports car is a chick car?

Huh, someone tells James Dean.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #67

Regarding Boxster not being a REAL Porsche. Maybe because it's a MID engine ROADSTER.

Try that argument after reading this....
In 1931, Porsche's founder, Ferdinand Porsche, opened an office for engineering and consultation on engine and vehicle design in Stuttgart, Germany, but it wasn't until 1948 when the first car to bear the Porsche name was built. The 356 was the first sports car to bear the Porsche name and car 'No. 1' was roadcertified in June of that year. Only one month later, the lightweight mid-engine roadster won its first class victory at the Innsbruck Stadtrennen.

and

The Porsche 356/1 was the first real Porsche car created by Ferdinand "Ferry" Porsche. This prototype car was a two-seater open roadster with a mid-mounted, air-cooled flat-4 engine of 1,131 cc displacement that produced 40 horsepower (30 kW). While the body was an original design, most of the mechanicals (including engine and suspension) were derived from the Volkswagen Beetle which Ferry's father, Ferdinand Porsche, had designed.

The aluminum roadster body of the 356/1 was designed by Porsche employee Erwin Komenda in April 1948 at Gmünd and completed only a month later. Smooth and low, the 356/1 set the pattern for later 356s with one fundamental difference; the engine of the production cars was moved behind the rear axle (to reduce costs and make room for two additional seats). The car was registered by the state of Carinthia (Kärnten) with the license plate K45-286 and made its maiden voyage on June 8, 1948.

He really created the first BOXSTER. The 911 came later!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_porsche_made#ixzz1IPNjKAM9
Old 04-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #68

I wonder if anyone would pull this chick car deal with Danica Patrick?

I dare say she could take them down on any road surface?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #69

For the record, the 911 is WAY overated as a handler compared to the Box.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
For the record, the 911 is WAY overated as a handler compared to the Box.
+1 I always wanted a 911 until I drove a boxster, my next Porsche will be a Caymen or another Boxster.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #71
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I wonder if anyone would pull this chick car deal with Danica Patrick?

I dare say she could take them down on any road surface?

NASCAR doesn't count here.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #72

You mean chick magnet car.

Yes. I get so much attention from women driving that thing it's not even funny. Plus women don't know anything about cars, if you care what other guys think about you you're quite insecure.
iluvboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #73

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Welcome...have you posted pictures...you know it is a requirement as a newbie
It's been raining here since I bought the car so no decent pictures, how about a picture of my last sports car?
Attached Images

nnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #74
JTP

I was dropping off a buddy at San Diego airport yesterday and a silver Boxster was in front of us on the freeway. He knows I have a Boxster and tries to harass me about having a chic car but I go on about its great handling and being a great platform. The Boxster pulls over at the terminal in front of us and out comes two girls and my buddy just laughs. Aaargh!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #75

Who cares?

My dad has a '97 993 Turbo, and it definitely has a lot more power than the Boxster. However, it isn't nearly as fun overall. Would I rather have his 993 or my 896? I'll take the 986. It is the most complete performance vehicle I've driven in my young life. My stepmom had a Viper. I hated driving it. Sure it was powerful--almost too powerful for its own good, but it wasn't any fun to drive. It was fun to accelerate, but not drive. My sister's VW beetle was more fun to drive than the Viper, but that's just me.

It bothers me when society stereotypes gener into absolutes. I've been dating a lady for the past 4 years, and here are some differences.

I love yogurt; in fact, I got her into yogurt. I prefer Greek-style yogurt since it has double the protein and half the fat and sugar. That sounds like a man's food to me.

She loves all sports, especially the big three. She was a sports writer in college, covering UF football, basketball, softball...basically everything. She almost became a sports writer for a small newspaper until she realized how brutal the lifestyle is. My favorite sport is tennis. Second is the NFL. Third is soccer. A distant fourth is boxing. The rest could disappear and I'd be fine.

I cook. I love to cook. It's fun and relaxing to me. It also lets my creative side shine. She hates it. It scares her. The deal is that I cook and she cleans, and that's perfectly fine with me.

I love metal. It's my favorite genre of music, and I dare you to find more talented musicians or range of emotions once you get into the avant garde (Arcturus, Opeth, Cynic, etc.). I also love classical. To me there's nothing better than blasting some angry Mahler and driving a Boxster on a winding road. She likes classic rock; Led Zepplin is her favorite band.

I enjoy Scotch whisky, craft beer, cigars and shaving with a straight razor. You can't tell me those aren't stereotypically manly. She's delving into those (minus the razor). I also drink a lot of tea--green, white, black, herbal, red, you name it. She can't stand tea.

Wrap up everything about my personality based on my hobbies/passions--including my argument about what makes a man "manly" or not--and I think you can see why I enjoy the Boxster so much. More than anything, I think it's pretty obvious that I really don't care. No one will care if they've driven a Boxster. Hey look--yogurt!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #76

A Little Perspective, Please

A drunk is sitting at the bar when a waitress approaches. He asks her for her number and she says that she’s a lesbian. He asks what’s a lesbian. She explains that she’d love to take the young lady at the end of the bar home, and make passionate love to her all night. The drunk replies, “Well, I guess I’m a lesbian, too.”
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #77

This seemed like the most recent chick car thread....

So someone in another forum posted these two pics in discussing the fried egg lights being so uncool but the round 911 lights being cool.

uncool: LMP GT1
(racing car)

cool: chick car
(roots of the Porsche 356/911)

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #78

Hat's off to Promark420 and his post.

I personally know a woman who just bought a 2013 911. For cash (she's in finance, if that helps you). She has no hubby to split that bill with. She and I discuss autocrossing strategies. We often lament that there aren't more chicks into cars.

I am the only female member of my local PCA to have her own Porsche. I mention it to the other ladies and they look at me like I grew another head. They won't even drive their hubbies' cars.

BTW, yes, the bug is a chick's car.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #79

I have only once seen a woman driving a Boxster. Most of the time the person driving is a white male in his late 40's to early 60's. Ditto for 911 Cabriolets... but I have seen women driving those plenty of times. And my hair dresser drives a 997 Cabriolet and his husband drives a Panamera.

On the other hand, I've seen dozens of women driving Cayennes. Today the SUV is the chick car.

p.s.
You know someone in finance who paid cash for a depreciating luxury car?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I have only once seen a woman driving a Boxster. Most of the time the person driving one is a white male in his late 40's to early 60's. Ditto for 911 Cabriolets... but I have seen women driving those plenty of times.

On the other hand, I've seen dozens of women driving Cayennes. Today the SUV is the chick car.

p.s.
You know someone in finance who paid cash for a depreciating luxury car?
I know, right?! I tried to talk her into a used Turbo, explained that with a Porsche you pay attention to miles, not years so much, but she wouldn't budge. She has a bad knee and really wanted the PDK.

Not a fan of the Cayenne, but if you have to haul the kids to soccer, it works. Glad to see the Panamera out there, a decent alternative.

Only one woman driving a Boxster? Hmmmm . . . now that you mention it, the other Boxsters I've seen are driven by men. Go figure.