Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 02:12 AM   #1

Garage
Passenger Window Dead After Battery Jump - Suggestions?

Hi Everyone -

I've searched the forum for the above scenario, but was unable to locate it, so here's my story.

A few weeks back I took my '02 Boxster S for a drive after being stored for the winter on the trickle charger. After coming home & washing, I made the mistake of leaving the key in the ignition (not in the on position) and was surprised to find the battery dead when I came back. I tried to charge it on the trickle charger to no effect and eventually needed to perform the jump procedure to get access to the frunk, actually jump the battery, and then restart the car.

After restarting, I made sure all was working well, and unfortunately the passenger window went down and would not return to the up position. The driver's side window is working well. Have never had issues with the electrical system or passenger window. As far as I can tell, there are no other problems as a result of my error of leaving the keys in the ignition.

I have reviewed the Bentley manual and the owner's manual, but am unsure how to proceed to diagnose & fix the problem. I believe both windows work off the same fuse, so that isn't the issue, right? I'd like to figure out whether it is something I can fix -- my skills are probably below most of the folks posting on the board.

Any suggestions on what caused this & what steps i should take next?

Thanks all for any advice!

barkinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #2

Garage
Retry - Can't Figure This Out

Well, thought I'd repost because I could really use some advice & can't believe this stumps the board. Any suggestions if this was your situation? Appreciate it!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:05 AM   #3

Maybe some more info

from you on what happens when you hit the switch...any sounds at all? Any different with the engine running or not? Any different if the top is up or down?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Both windows are fused on D1, so you probably have some other problem.

It's pretty easy to swap the window switches in the center console to troubleshoot. Connect the good switch to the questionable motor and if it works your then your original switch is likely bad (a pretty cheap fix); if it doesn't work, then it's likely the motor or the regulator. Connect the questionable switch to the good motor and if it doesn't work then the bad switch is confirmed; if it does work, then your other motor or regulator's likely got problems.

I've read the window motors are pretty reliable. The window regulators not so much. I replaced my '02S RH regulator last fall and just ordered the LH today. Replacement is not too terrible. There are a couple of links to good step-by-step instructions with pix. Do a search.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #5

Garage
Excellent!

Appreciate the advice mike & gschotland. I will try the switch tomorrow morning & advise back. Mike, so far zero sound, but haven't tried it with the top down, so will check all configs suggested if the switch doesn't seem to be the issue. Made my day by commenting - appreciate it!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #6

Garage
Fixed, I think!

Hi All --

A quick note to update to all interested on my issue with the passenger window (formerly dead). I repeatedly tried the window this morning, both with top down and up, with no apparent result (passenger window was initially still in down position).

I then moved the car outside into the spring sun (~ 50 deg) and repeatedly tried the passenger window with no effect. Then I removed the torx screws and removed the center console switch section. When retrying the passenger window, I could hear the switch enable, but still no window roll on passenger side.

I had a difficult time trying to remove the plug to swap the switches to see if the driver window would drive the passenger window. After about 10 minutes in the sun (I decided to clean the area below underneath the switch with interior detailer), suddenly the passenger window works!!

I then take her for a ride (after reinstalling the console) & continuously checked the window and all was back to normal.

So thanks to gschotland & mikefocke for encouraging me to further define the problem. I don't really have any idea if this is a short-term or long-term fix, but i'm pretty sure I saved a bunch of $$$ because I messed around with it myself.

Thanks all, great community to be a part of here!