Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 07:36 AM   #1

Cool What Color? Why?

What color did you choose fro your Pcar? Why?

Platinum Silver/Beige/Black Top

We originally chose Artic Silver but is was not available in 2011 so we took Platinim Silver which is a shade darker.

I like silver in a Pcar for three reasons:
It's the German racing color.
In my opinion it shows off the lines of the car best (just about any car).
It's easy to clean and doesn't show dirt very much.

Chose beige leather bcus it is warmer. Pcars can look stark and cold. The light color does reflect light on the windshield which can be annoying (black interior does not do this). However, Polaroid lenses on your shades solves this problem.

Black top. We ordered Stone Gray but it got delivered black. Don't know why. But will admit that the black looks really great from the inside with the top up as it goes well with all the black trim features inside. We ordered black floormats which look good and ddoesn't show the dirt like the beige mats (my experience proves this).

Please post your thoughts and reasons. What color would you choose? Why do you have the color you have? Pics would be nice too.

Attached Images

PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

I looked at a few cars. One white which I liked, but it had a blue top and interior. I couldnt deal with that on a daily basis. Looked at a gray one, but I hated the gray interior, plus a Porsche mechanic said they start to look almost primer-ish when the clear starts to fade.

Like Henry Ford said. You can have any color car you want as long as it's black. I just love the way black cars look. More black the better for me. Sames true with my chopper. People thought I was nuts for taking parts out of the box and hitting them with a scotch brite. I'm not a bass, I don't like shiny things.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

previous car was black. Never again. I don't mind the extra work since I'm pretty well experieinced in detailing but the magnfication of imperfections is what drove me over the edge. Neutral colors do a great job of hiding those scratches, chips, swirls etc. and some of those are not fixable unless you repaint the whole panel.
After 10 years these blemishes can add up and make the car look a lot older.

I went with Silver because it is the color that I feel looks best at night under lights (very reflective like black), during the day under sun (but hides the swirls unlike black) or at dusk.

Silver might be boring compared to Porsche green or orange but I wonder if guys who own those colors ever get tired of driving aroound in such a conspicous color.
To me it would be like wearing red shoes every day. The uniqueness might wear off.
My second choice would have been white. A white Porsche with some tastefully done graphics is a design winner for many sports cars from Ford GT40 to '73 Carrera RS.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #4

Imho

Mine is red because (a) it was a good deal, and (b) I think red Porsches look great.
I also think the various shades of silver are a good idea because (a) they look good, and (b) it's the German racing color.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #5

Garage
I chose speed yellow because it can have a dangerous and forbidden look ! Kinda like yellow snow ......
Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #6

I'm on my 4th black/black Boxster. I like black a lot but do realize it is a hard color to keep looking good.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #7

Arctic Silver for the same reasons most have mentioned plus it is not a glaring signal for cops to turn on the laser/radar. I had a red van once and a red 911SC, which attracted cops like flies to honey. Reaffirm that it dose not show dirt and road dust like a Black car. I can imagine what attention a Yellow car with the driver wearing purple underwear must glean.. Black is beautiful for a full 20 minutes after detailing but then the dust settles......

AKL :dance:
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
Arctic Silver for the same reasons most have mentioned plus it is not a glaring signal for cops to turn on the laser/radar. I had a red van once and a red 911SC, which attracted cops like flies to honey. Reaffirm that it dose not show dirt and road dust like a Black car. I can imagine what attention a Yellow car with the driver wearing purple underwear must glean.. Black is beautiful for a full 20 minutes after detailing but then the dust settles......

AKL :dance:
I don't wear purple underwear . In fact, I don't wear any underwear at all . Its my foes that wear purple underwear . Besides, this leather jumpsuit is hot enough !
Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #9

Wink

Black metallic......regular flat black lacked the depth of colour that i like

Generally, I like my combination of black paint, red leather, red s calipers, red rear 550 spyder lights, and the old three piece sport classic wheels over most other arrangements I have seen.....Of course I always wear purple underwear while driving
Old 03-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I've got a black benz and the previous two before that were black so I'm an expert at keeping them beautiful...they are a lot of work but look amazing when taken care of. My 2000 'S' is Red and it is a wonderful color for buffing out and bringing back to new, the previous owner couldn't believe it. I got red because it was the car I wanted at the right price and I didn't see many red 2000 'S' ones when I was looking. I thought it was something different and a classic sports car color.

I think a black boxster needs to be keep perfect to look nice. Easy if I buy a new one but a ten year old car...the odds of finding that were slim...especially since microfiber wasn't being used back then.

The color I initially wanted after seeing was this gray color below...it looks beautiful, hides most imperfections, and I think makes the car look a little larger.
Attached Images

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Pat

Dark green.
We found a car in great shape with great options at a great price. It happened to be dark green.
Color is not high on my list of priorities.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake D
I looked at a few cars. One white which I liked, but it had a blue top and interior. I couldnt deal with that on a daily basis. Looked at a gray one, but I hated the gray interior, plus a Porsche mechanic said they start to look almost primer-ish when the clear starts to fade.

Like Henry Ford said. You can have any color car you want as long as it's black. I just love the way black cars look. More black the better for me. Sames true with my chopper. People thought I was nuts for taking parts out of the box and hitting them with a scotch brite. I'm not a bass, I don't like shiny things.
I love black as well. But they are too hard for me to keep clean You can see every speck of dust and I AM SOOOOOO LAZY!
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #13

I haven't had that many cars, but they've all been different colors. Most of the time, the color has not been a deal breaker for me. And when you're on a limited budget, you pretty much have to take what's affordable. I don't think I've ever said, I want a red Porsche or a yellow Mustang, or etc, etc. Of the half dozen or so new cars I've purchased, I don't think I went in with a particular color in mind. I just bought a used truck last month. It's white. I would have preferred silver or gray, but the price was right so I got it. One of these days, I would like to just go out and buy what I want, not settle for what I can afford.

Oh, and my Boxster is Arctic Silver, but would have been happy with black and probably could have lived with red.

Last edited by Gforrest2; 03-11-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I don't wear purple underwear . In fact, I don't wear any underwear at all . Its my foes that wear purple underwear . Besides, this leather jumpsuit is hot enough !

Can I safely assume you also have heated seats for winter motoring? Why did you assume I meant you when I referred to Yallar and purple???? Does Yallar attract the fuzz like Guards Red? Can you hear the sound of silence????

AKL
'02, Arctic Silver/Graphite Gray, 2.7, TIP, 2nd cat delete, Charlie Chan muffler,de-ambered, Braille Battery, clear tailights, painted bumperettes, clear third brake light, M030 sway bars, F shock tower braces, clear rear deck, '03 side vents. 15mm spacers fore & aft.
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #15

Garage
Basalt Black Metallic, LOVE it when clean and polished, but that doesn't last long in Oregon. Good thing it's not a daily driver, I'd have to wash it every other day.
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Arctic Silver - Avoids cops, hides dust/dirt, matches my BMW's.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #17

Midnight Blue, because I like it.
Attached Images

3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
Midnight Blue, because I like it.
Beautiful car.

Used to have an Ocean Blue 944 with champaign interior. I loved that car.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #19
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Seal Grey, because I like the color and found it for a steal.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #20

Put me down for seal gray as well, I could never own a black car and I'm not sold on white 986s yet..

tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote