Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #1

Boxster motor serial number

Help! I purchased a 1999 Boxster and with the previous owners permission was able to get the service history from the dealer. I found out that in 2003 the motor seized and was replaced. The old # was M962065X11458. The new motor # is M962065X60102. Can anyone explain what these numbers mean? Was this a new motor or a rebuilt motor and do dealers change the odometer on the car to reflect the true miles on the engine? Thank you.

springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:27 AM   #2

Garage
This is my stab at it; since your '99 engine seized in '03, I'm guessing it was out of warranty. The engine that replaced it was more than likely re-manufactured, and that engine is the 48,644 engine (60102-11458=48644) to roll off the assembly line...again not necessarily a new one but rebuilt.

The odometer doesn't show mileage on the engine (you would actually need an hour meter for that), it shows the mileage on the car.

P.S. The cars computer records engine revolutions and over-rev events. There is a chance that the dealer was able to go in and "zero out" that parameter. If anyone knows if this is possible, ring in.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 03-26-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Adding to Jaxonalden's comments-

Very unlikely that they had any new 2.5s in inventory when they replaced the engine in '03.

In these cars, unless you're a collector, a replacement engine isn't a big deal. There've been alot of reasons to replace the engine over the years.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 AM   #4

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
This is my stab at it; since your '99 engine seized in '03, I'm guessing it was out of warranty. The engine that replaced it was more than likely re-manufactured, and that engine is the 48,644 engine (60102-11458=48644) to roll off the assembly line...again not necessarily a new one but rebuilt.

The odometer doesn't show mileage on the engine (you would actually need an hour meter for that), it shows the mileage on the car.

P.S. The cars computer records engine revolutions and over-rev events. There is a chance that the dealer was able to go in and "zero out" that parameter. If anyone knows if this is possible, ring in.
Thanks for your reply. The dealers invoice dated 7/25/03 shows they did replace the motor under warranty so maybe the previous owner had an extended warranty? It has the statement "one time goodwill" under the labor and parts section of the invoice.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123
Thanks for your reply. The dealers invoice dated 7/25/03 shows they did replace the motor under warranty so maybe the previous owner had an extended warranty? It has the statement "one time goodwill" under the labor and parts section of the invoice.

I'm surprised it said "One time goodwill" under warranty, isn't that what a warranty is all about? One time goodwill or good "deal", typical way they're standing behind their product...even one they warranty, shameless.