986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boxster motor serial number (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28242)

springer123 03-26-2011 05:23 AM

Boxster motor serial number

Help! I purchased a 1999 Boxster and with the previous owners permission was able to get the service history from the dealer. I found out that in 2003 the motor seized and was replaced. The old # was M962065X11458. The new motor # is M962065X60102. Can anyone explain what these numbers mean? Was this a new motor or a rebuilt motor and do dealers change the odometer on the car to reflect the true miles on the engine? Thank you.

Jaxonalden 03-26-2011 06:27 AM

This is my stab at it; since your '99 engine seized in '03, I'm guessing it was out of warranty. The engine that replaced it was more than likely re-manufactured, and that engine is the 48,644 engine (60102-11458=48644) to roll off the assembly line...again not necessarily a new one but rebuilt.

The odometer doesn't show mileage on the engine (you would actually need an hour meter for that), it shows the mileage on the car.

P.S. The cars computer records engine revolutions and over-rev events. There is a chance that the dealer was able to go in and "zero out" that parameter. If anyone knows if this is possible, ring in.

blue2000s 03-26-2011 06:37 AM

Adding to Jaxonalden's comments-

Very unlikely that they had any new 2.5s in inventory when they replaced the engine in '03.

In these cars, unless you're a collector, a replacement engine isn't a big deal. There've been alot of reasons to replace the engine over the years.

springer123 03-26-2011 07:14 AM

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
This is my stab at it; since your '99 engine seized in '03, I'm guessing it was out of warranty. The engine that replaced it was more than likely re-manufactured, and that engine is the 48,644 engine (60102-11458=48644) to roll off the assembly line...again not necessarily a new one but rebuilt.

The odometer doesn't show mileage on the engine (you would actually need an hour meter for that), it shows the mileage on the car.

P.S. The cars computer records engine revolutions and over-rev events. There is a chance that the dealer was able to go in and "zero out" that parameter. If anyone knows if this is possible, ring in.

Thanks for your reply. The dealers invoice dated 7/25/03 shows they did replace the motor under warranty so maybe the previous owner had an extended warranty? It has the statement "one time goodwill" under the labor and parts section of the invoice.

Jaxonalden 03-27-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springer123
Thanks for your reply. The dealers invoice dated 7/25/03 shows they did replace the motor under warranty so maybe the previous owner had an extended warranty? It has the statement "one time goodwill" under the labor and parts section of the invoice.

I'm surprised it said "One time goodwill" under warranty, isn't that what a warranty is all about? One time goodwill or good "deal", typical way they're standing behind their product...even one they warranty, shameless.