Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #1

Kenwood dnx7160 install

Are there those who have done this double din install on their own? How hard was it?

Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #2

I just installed a dnx 9140 over the weekend. I ran the front channels through the preouts then to the factory amp and I ran the rears directly off the head unit, bypassing the factory amp in the trunk. This leaves me 2 more channels to run a rear speaker kit that I plan to add soon.

If you are electrically savvy, its not a big deal. I used the euromotorspeed double din kit, comes with a nice fascia and hardware, worth it to make it look clean.

Sounds so much better than the stock deck and 4x40 amp only. I had already upgraded to polk audio speakers but the doors sounded bad as they were 4 ohm speakers powered off channels meant for 2 ohm. Sounds good now!!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #3

Garage
+1 on the euromotorspeed double din kit

Made things pretty smoothed, one thing I did order in advance was the double din surround trim instead of cutting the original surround trim.

took about three hours but I was taking my time, removing stuff and then reposition my AC and such.

They provided great directions and all the connectors needed to match up from new HU to OEM connections.

attached is what I am talking about with regards to the trim I replaced (red in photo) link also is for the double din kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/03-04-PORSCHE-986-BOXSTER-DOUBLE-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT-/220701244327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362d1bba7#ht_1954wt_1141
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #4

finished last weekend. Be careful when dremeling, keeping the sides even

very easy. relocating the climate control takes patience, as does routing any cables (ie ipod, a/v, usb, etc) through the back. I drilled a hole in the upper storage compartment to run them through

good luck
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
mts

I've done that Kenwood unit. I used the euromotorspeed kit. BTW I hate the 7160. Too many sub menus just to do basic things. I probably would have been happier with a more basic unit. To each his own though.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 AM   #6

check ebay for the company that refurbs x910bt, x900bt and similar AVICs

expect the slow start time (15 sec for radio, up to 1 minute for SD/ipod/etc), great units that look factory
Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM   #7

Thanks all for the advice. I am wondering if the stock S speakers and amp will be adequate. I have the stock speaker deck behind the roll bars as well. Any suggestions for speaker upgrades or will the sound be fine with what I have?

I have the stock digital sound processing deck and cd holder(good for nav CDs?) to deal with and no cubby (upper storage tray?). This means I have no iPod and USB cable route out. I am assuming this where holes are drilled to bring cables out. I may have to loop them around the trim pieces from the back.

I would have thought you would be able to just load mp3s right onto the unit itself from a front USB port and not have to deal with an iPod or cables.

Would I need to dremel with the kit? Any back up cam recomendations or cable routing suggestions? Perhaps the 7160 is not a good choice?

Last edited by jaykay; 03-11-2011 at 07:47 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

definitely need the dremel, only because the stock setup is one piece of plastic designed to hold the radio and climate control. You will be removing a bracket that supports the rear of the current radio and installing a new one designed for the 2din unit.

Dremeling is not as bad as it sounds. I did mine while still in the car. You may try removing it first, although you'll need to figure out a way to hold it still while cutting.

all in all, not too difficult. Depending on the head unit you buy, you may or may not have to run cables.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #9

and re the stock amp (sounds like yours is 4 channel, mine was only 2): you may try and find 4 volt preamp outs, as some people seem to believe the 2V is not adequate