Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #21

well, i pulled the tracking info & apparently this thing delievered to my house on friday.......except that it didn't.

FCP is filing a claim w/ UPS. i'll follow up w/ them in a week.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #22

I got mine today!

They look to be nice but I really have never seen any other ones to make a accurate comparison of their quality.

Hoping once you get yours insite you can fill me in on there quality!
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #23

we found mine yesterday. some kids stole some boxes off my porch. turns out that they don't have a porsche & they don't read books. they ditched the boxes behind my neighbor's air conditioners.....

anyway, the part looks good. went on nice & easy. the casting is basically stock, but they seem to have added a little bit of material near the ball joint. i will post photos this weekend.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #24

I see people knocking these FCP/ODI control arms really bad on other BMW/VW fourms saying "they only last like 3k miles and fail" .......... By looking at them do you think the wearable parts are pretty decent quality or would it be a better idea to leave semi worn original ones with 60K on them on the car???
Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #25

Any info on these before I install them?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
I see people knocking these FCP/ODI control arms really bad on other BMW/VW fourms saying "they only last like 3k miles and fail" .......... By looking at them do you think the wearable parts are pretty decent quality or would it be a better idea to leave semi worn original ones with 60K on them on the car???
don't read too much into it, but i needed a control arm (the ball was worn and jiggling) for ~15k miles. it wasn't any worse than it originally was when i replaced it.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
1. simple material
2. chinese factories are getting pretty good at this stuff

the ones that are getting REALLY good are the ones who market to the US & europe. lots of them are running AS9100/ISO quality programs as well. i must admit i know jack about 'URO' (mfgr) and their factories. when it shows up, i'll have one of our MatE's take a look at the alloy compared w/ OEM. i bet it's very close.
Hey Insite, speaking of questionable castings any insite on the alloy used to make M96 engine parts like case, heads,cam covers? Having a hard time finding the best solution for cleaning parts without turning dark grey.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #28

have you tried phosphoric acid? i recommend alumiprep 33 (available from aircraft spruce). usually, it provides a nice, bright finish.

now, i HAVE noticed with certain parts that cleaning w/ alumiprep leaves the parts grey. as best i can GUESS, porsche has applied some type of anodizing to the block to help resist corrosion. in that case, mild acid treatment will leave a surface coating of antimony, which is grey.

the antimony can be removed with nitric acid (hard to get). alternatively, and i have not tried this, you can use a mixture of phosphoric & chromic acid. keep in mind these things are a little nasty.

once you've done this, any anodization will have been removed. bare aluminum WILL corrode. you can either re-anodize OR use an alodine process, which will leave a nice looking golden finish on the part. i'm getting ready to make some more drop links this week; i'll take photos of the process if you want.

the final alternative is to steam clean the parts. this should leave a nice finish without altering the anodization / surface treatments. it won't be as pretty as bare aluminum, but it may suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Hey Insite, speaking of questionable castings any insite on the alloy used to make M96 engine parts like case, heads,cam covers? Having a hard time finding the best solution for cleaning parts without turning dark grey.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #29

any word on the quality of the wearable parts on these cheap control arms?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
any word on the quality of the wearable parts on these cheap control arms?

Good god, man. You've asked the Same question like fifteen times. Install them and be done with it. Report back to us.