Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 AM   #21

Garage
No good weather insight here .

Attached Images

Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #22

It was sunny and 61F in Basalt (19 miles down valley from Aspen, elv. 6200 ft.) so the wife put the top down and had a wonderful lunch at Cuvee' Bistro and then went for a drive to Reudi Reservior (which is the headwaters of the Frying Pan River...home of the best Gold Medal trout fishing in Colorado). Picture was taken in fall. It is frozen over now.

We did see a herd of Rocky Mountain Big Horn sheep (about 20). Life is good.
Attached Images

PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #23

Big Horn sheep on the way to Reudi on a previous trip.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #24

Life is short!!!

Just remember this: Any one of us could fail to open our eyes tomorrow.

To illustrate: My dad's wife, a 43 year-old in fine health, non-drinker, non-smoker,
non-anything if ya ask me, gets the flu. The flu sets her up for pneumonia.
Now the woman is a nurse, mind you, so as it happens, she is exposed to some antibiotic resistant crud. No prob right? There's all kinds of great antibiotics today, and if all else fails, there's always penicillin.

Nooot.

The modern antibiotics were useless, she was allergic to penicillin,
and my 12 year-old sister is an orphan. True story, as of last week.

Therefore I encourage you, so long as you can safely do so:

DRIVE IT.

Except when it's been too icy or there's too much fresh snow, I've driven mine all winter here in the mid-atlantic. It's been a mild winter, but that's not the point.

Have you seen "Benjamin Button"?

"Ya never know what's comin' for ya."
eltren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltren
Just remember this: Any one of us could fail to open our eyes tomorrow.

To illustrate: My dad's wife, a 43 year-old in fine health, non-drinker, non-smoker,
non-anything if ya ask me, gets the flu. The flu sets her up for pneumonia.
Now the woman is a nurse, mind you, so as it happens, she is exposed to some antibiotic resistant crud. No prob right? There's all kinds of great antibiotics today, and if all else fails, there's always penicillin.

Nooot.

The modern antibiotics were useless, she was allergic to penicillin,
and my 12 year-old sister is an orphan. True story, as of last week.

Therefore I encourage you, so long as you can safely do so:

DRIVE IT.

Except when it's been too icy or there's too much fresh snow, I've driven mine all winter here in the mid-atlantic. It's been a mild winter, but that's not the point.

Have you seen "Benjamin Button"?

"Ya never know what's comin' for ya."
Exactly.

We stopped at a stoplight and a woman hit us doing 50 mph. Knocked us into the intersection. Totaled Ruby. We could have been killed instead of minor injuries.

Moral to the story: Life is short. EVERYTHING can change in an instant. Really.

Ruby. I miss her. Drive it.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2011, 05:18 AM   #26
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Yup...I had stage 3 cancer in 00-01', surgery, 3 months chemo. 10 years later I still have the same saying "Every day is a good day even the bad ones".

Phil, stop showing pictures of Ruby, I want those rims!!
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Yup...I had stage 3 cancer in 00-01', surgery, 3 months chemo. 10 years later I still have the same saying "Every day is a good day even the bad ones".

Phil, stop showing pictures of Ruby, I want those rims!!
I am sure some lucky Porsche enthusiast got those rims. And I am sure the car was parted out. Everything in front of the rear trunk looked like new.

Please note I went for 18" Cayman S II wheels. Thought they would be more chuckhole proof than 19" so I passed on the 19" Turbo wheels. Plus the Caymans go nicely with the new side mirror design IMVHO.

Please note: Picture of Ruby not included in this post.

Glad you are well my friend.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #28

On top of that, there really is no good reason to not drive the Boxster in the winter. The car handles snow better than most cars if you put winter tires on it. It's galvanized, so it doesn't really rust. The only precautions I would take would be to hit all of the exposed screws and bolts on the underside of the car (mostly the undertray bolts) with some Boeshield to keep them from rusting. Everything else is protected well. Then, in spring, remove the undertrays and rinse the underside thoroughly. The car is a blast in the snow. If it gets wrecked, it's not like it cannot be replaced. Drive it!
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
On top of that, there really is no good reason to not drive the Boxster in the winter. The car handles snow better than most cars if you put winter tires on it. It's galvanized, so it doesn't really rust. The only precautions I would take would be to hit all of the exposed screws and bolts on the underside of the car (mostly the undertray bolts) with some Boeshield to keep them from rusting. Everything else is protected well. Then, in spring, remove the undertrays and rinse the underside thoroughly. The car is a blast in the snow. If it gets wrecked, it's not like it cannot be replaced. Drive it!

Sorry but there is one caveat, in NY, they have gone to a new system of road salt application. It's a brine-like solution mixed with some sort of maple syrup byproduct that is used to help it adhere to ice. Thing is, it adheres to lines and car parts more than the road. My truck is on it's second transmission line set, brake lines had to be replaced and now the rear differential housing is rusting out. I don't care how galvanized your metal is, drive in upstate NY during the winter and expect to ruin your car, it's that simple.

PS even if you avoid the rust, all the fasteners and parts seize far more after a salt season, making even simple repairs likely fastener snapping cuss festivals. Convertibles aren't too warm when it's -10 either. Closing in on 200" of snow, ground clearance on the Box would have stranded you multiple times this year.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 03-14-2011 at 03:03 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #30
kpm

I took the Boxster out yesterday just to clear my mind. My mom has been in the hospital for 2 weeks and it's been kinda stressful.

After about 10min on the open road I looked down and was doing 105 ! Thank God the road was almost deserted.

Oh, and setting the tires pressures has made the vibration disappear.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm
I took the Boxster out yesterday just to clear my mind. My mom has been in the hospital for 2 weeks and it's been kinda stressful.

After about 10min on the open road I looked down and was doing 105 ! Thank God the road was almost deserted.

Oh, and setting the tires pressures has made the vibration disappear.
Glad the tire pressure solved your problem.

Hope your mother gets well soon.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
PS even if you avoid the rust, all the fasteners and parts seize far more after a salt season, making even simple repairs likely fastener snapping cuss festivals. Convertibles aren't too warm when it's -10 either. Closing in on 200" of snow, ground clearance on the Box would have stranded you multiple times this year.
I wonder if car manufacturers developed that stuff. Sounds nasty.

That's why I recommended using Boeshield on them. It's a wax based spray that coats what you spray it on to protect it from corrosion. Boeing (hence the "boe" in the name) developed it for aircraft.

The Boxster isn't that low. I've driven in snow deep enough that my car left a clear "track" from the bottom of the chassis. I was on summer tires at the time too. Driving carefully is all it takes.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
I wonder if car manufacturers developed that stuff. Sounds nasty.

That's why I recommended using Boeshield on them. It's a wax based spray that coats what you spray it on to protect it from corrosion. Boeing (hence the "boe" in the name) developed it for aircraft.

The Boxster isn't that low. I've driven in snow deep enough that my car left a clear "track" from the bottom of the chassis.
I was on summer tires at the time too. Driving carefully is all it takes.

I've done that in a Mountaineer, several times this year, that spray wax sounds like it would be great for the Fiat to keep it rust free.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM   #34

Wow Mike, that's surprising, what summer tires? I couldn't get out of my drive in 1" of snow on PSII's ! (slight uphill)
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #35

My insurance kicks back in April 6th, so pumped! Have to fix the convertible top and some scratches but I'm so excited to be driving my baby on the road again! I hate Canadian winters but all the snow is just about gone.

iluvboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote