Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #1

Boxster S 2nd Gear Slip

Hi Everyone

I just bought my first 2000 Porsche Boxster S about 3 weeks ago and just recently took it out for a drive around the neighbourhood. I didn't notice this problem during the test drive but when I took it out the other day I would change to 2nd gear and the car would "reject" or "push" the shifter back into neutral. If I put pressure on the shifter and kept it in 2nd gear I didn't have a problem. Has anyone heard of this issue and/or know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

airbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

It's a common problem. Get it fixed before you cause damage to the gear. Reserach here...

http://www.californiamotorsports.net/996%20and%20Boxster%20S.htm
kcpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
My trans is getting 2nd gear redone right now. I pulled the trans to save a bit of cash, buuuut...
$1000 labor
don't know parts cost yet
replace FW and clutch $700+600 (I'll do the labor on these)
since we're in there and spending, let's put in a torque biasing diff! $1300
I'm hoping to come away under $4500 for all of this
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #4

get the IMS bearing done if youre doing tranny work. The problem is perhaps overblown, but cheap insurance and peace of mind
chamilun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbud
Hi Everyone

I just bought my first 2000 Porsche Boxster S about 3 weeks ago and just recently took it out for a drive around the neighbourhood. I didn't notice this problem during the test drive but when I took it out the other day I would change to 2nd gear and the car would "reject" or "push" the shifter back into neutral. If I put pressure on the shifter and kept it in 2nd gear I didn't have a problem. Has anyone heard of this issue and/or know what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!
Gbox has a simple part to help the problem & is certainly worth a try. It's a shift detent
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
Gbox has a simple part to help the problem & is certainly worth a try. It's a shift detent
Is this or is there something that can be done to prevent this from ever happening? My 00 S shifts smooth but if I can prevent something from happening I'd like to try to
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #7

I know a fair number of people with 6 speed Boxsters (S) and no one has the problem that seems to be creeping up...is it a matter of how you treat the gearbox (i.e., not a slammer)? I know when I instruct, if my student is a speed shifter, I slow him/her down and teach the two step move, which is ingrained in my mind from driving 911s all these years...it may also help that we all have rev-matching downshift skills and double clutch most the time.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #8

So is this a shifting too quickly issue or not getting it in gear all the way before letting out the clutch? I try to match my revs when downshifting, but I'm terrible at it. Seems like I can't get my foot at the right angle unless I'm really hard on the brakes which for normal driving, I'm not.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #9

Jake, I look at it as taking care of the gearbox...two step; shift into neutral, then into gear, instead of yanking the shifter straight to the next gear selected...saves wear and tear on the syncros. Same with downshifts; hesitate in neutral (double-clutch) and rev match, moving the lever into the selected gear...your gearbox will last a whole lot longer if you follow these simple steps and it becomes second nature. Of course, the modern gearboxes are a lot more forgiving than the earlier Porsche 915/G50 boxes, but it still pays to be gentle on the syncros and tiny teeth on the gears within.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #10

Alright thanks Jmatta. I'll probably start trying to pause a little especially going to and from 2nd as it seems to be the weak link
Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #11

Update

Hey Guys/Gals

Just to give you an update. I changed the oil and transmission fluid and the problem went away.

Thanks for all your help and guidance.
airbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #12

Awesome. I know my 02s would grind a bit when cold and if the pedal wasn't all the way to the floor. Once it was warmed up it was fine.

dallison is offline   Reply With Quote