Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #1

Wrong size alternator?

The bearing on my alternator was making a grinding sound, so I bought a used 996 alternator from Oklahoma Foreign. The part number is identical to the one on my 986, and this alternator came off a manual trans car, which is what my Boxster is. I got the old one off with a little struggle, but not bad. I put the replacement alternator in, and after a heck of a fight, I got the bracket on the driver's side lined up, and loosely threaded in the idler pulley and bolt. No matter what I did though, I could not get the hole in the opposite side bracket to line up. It was always about a sixteenth of an inch off, so after about an hour of fighting with it, I decided to take out the idler pulley bolt and line up the bracket on the passenger side. I got it lined up, and forced the bolt in, and I definitely cross threaded the threads on the alternator in the process, but I wasn't too worried about it because I won't have to remove the alternator til I have a new one too replace it with, but the problem is now the idler pulley side is about a sixteenth of an inch off! I had been working on it for four hours by this point, so I called it a night and pushed the car back to it's spot in the garage. So now where I stand is I have a replacement alternator cross-threaded into the left hand bracket that won't line up on the right side, and a functional, but grinding, alternator sitting in my garage. My battery is disconnected and the car is in service mode, jut sitting in my garage. Does anybody have any suggestions for me on my next step? Thanks in advance for the help!

1Bad986S is offline   Reply With Quote