Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #1

Puralator v Mahle? autozone freebie

I picked up some Castrol Syntec 5w-40 at my local Autozone. They're running a 5 quarts sale for $27 and a Bosch oil filter. This deal is usually $25 but so goes crude oil prices. They almost never have Boxster oil filters but the clerk said he had the Puralator for the the 986. I compared it against the spare Mahle and noticed the Puralator was made in Germany. The size was more or less the same on the outside but the inner dimensions were quite different.
Anyhoo it's two free oil filters that normally sell for $13 eachaccording to the clerk.
should I give them a shot?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

Purolator generally makes good filters (better than average). I would use it.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
This is the special I usually get with Mobil one and a Mann filter for my Benz from AdvanceAutoParts. I changed the boxster with this deal last fall when I first got the car. I'm planning on changing again so I can inspect filter, maybe I'll just go across the street this time. The puralator filters are the real thing usually Mann and just repackaged by them. When they first started doing it they even left the original manufacturer printed on it, they have since had that removed but it is still the same thing. The guys at my AdvancedAutoParts don't care what filter I get with the deal so it is a really good deal, then they match Walmart prices on the remaining 3 to 4 qrts needed...walk out for less then $50.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Carnut

I got the special at Pep Boys with Mobil 1 and the Purulator (sp?) filter, made in Germany, I see no probs at all using that filter.

Later,
Andy
Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
The size was more or less the same on the outside but the inner dimensions were quite different.
You'd think I'd remember after the number of oil changes I've done, but IIRC the filter pushes onto a nub, so if the ID is different it wouldn't fit properly.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

My local A-Z has been running these specials for the last couple of months. It seam like about every 2 weeks it is a different oil with a different filter. With 5 cars and 5 motorcyles, I have been stocking up. I still get my Porsche filters at Napa though. You guys should check out the Napa Gold for your Boxster. It is made much more heavy duty.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote