Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

How importasnt are the dealer stamps.

I just bought a 2007 Boxster with 9800 miles. The car has had a yearly service done for the last 4 years at the dealership. It is time for another and I was quoted $465. My local independent import mechanic quoted me $250 for oil change and inspections. My only concern is the importance of the dealer stamp for resale as well as possible problems requiring Porsche's help. Does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance, Adam

parks31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by parks31
I just bought a 2007 Boxster with 9800 miles. The car has had a yearly service done for the last 4 years at the dealership. It is time for another and I was quoted $465. My local independent import mechanic quoted me $250 for oil change and inspections. My only concern is the importance of the dealer stamp for resale as well as possible problems requiring Porsche's help. Does anyone have any input? Thanks in advance, Adam
Is the mechanic a certified Porsche mechanic?* Can he provide references? In writing? Can you contact them?

*If he says he is, can he provide proof?

Is the car still under warranty? If not, keep the receipt.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by parks31
Adam, first congrats on the new Boxster, hope you are enjoying it...post pics! I think they question I would ask is would it have mattered to you if the stamps yearly were from a good Indy...I bought a 2000 'S' in Nov and was happy to see the Indy receipts along side the dealers...in fact I trusted there work more and took the car back to them for something I couldn't do myself. I actually would be totally happy to see maintenance records done by the owner if they seemed competent. Maybe the general public thinks the dealer stamp is so important but in general someone buying one of these cars probably doesn't...who knows. Stop by and meet the indy and see if they have a clean shop, are happy to meet you and show interest in doing work for you...that's what I did.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:35 AM   #4

Dealer Stamps IMHO

Personally I would give no more weight to a dealer stamp than I would a receipt from a qualified indy. Most of us knock the stealerships and for good reason. Having said that, I think most would also agree that there are some nice guys who are fully qualified working at dealerships and it's not their fault that the dealers have decided to charge obscene prices. They certainly don't see it in their paychecks. I'd also give weight to receipts for parts and supplies when backed up by a maintenance history kept in a binder. Boxsters aren't Fiestas and talking to the former owner will pretty quickly tell you how seriously he took maintenance.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #5

Thanks everyone. I am having a blast with the car. I cant seem to find enough places to drive to. I plan on it being a daily driver for 3 years and then making it a weekend third car.
Attached Images

parks31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #6

How I maintain mine

I do what I can. I have a code reader and maintenance manuals. I'm far from a mechanic and don't really do much on my other cars.

I go to the local oil change or muffler shop and have them do things that I'd need a lift for that are in their area of specialty and where I know they do the same services on other Porsches. (examples might be oil change with oil/parts I provide or O2 sensor swap with a part I provide).

I cultivate a relationship (beginning at the PPI if possible) with a independent mechanic and have him do much of the work.

I go to the dealership for those services only they can provide. (special tools)

I value stamps not one bit...nor did I buying 2 Boxsters. I do value records and view thorough writeups as evidence of the care of the person performing the service.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Congrat's - great looking car and I really like those wheels!

In general, as long as you have a record of the service being done, that will get you all of the added value in resale that you might expect.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #8

Having a fully documented Porsche, including service records, can be worth $1,000.00's when selling your car someday. It depends a lot on the Porsche and the person doing the work.

My books are up to date, and stamped by the dealership and my indy shop.

Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote