Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Oil Drain Plug SIZE??

Hi

Need to replace the oil drain plug on my 1997 Boxster ...... What Size is the Plug?

thanks!

dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #2

Get the LN Egnineerng magnetic replacement.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #3

Ive looked at the LN one and the magnet doesnt look all that large.....

I was considering this one with a XL magnet, what do you think?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1312&_nkw=m12+1.25+magnetic&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Its the one last on the list

and I think the correct size is m18-1.50 on the boxster

Last edited by dirkdiggler; 02-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #4

The magnet may not look very large but it has very strong flux density - far stronger than your average magnetic plug....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Ummmmmmmmm......this is one time where "size does not matter." What you should be concerned about is how strong the magnet is, rather than how large. And the LN unit is very strong.........
Old 02-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #6

I would also think that since the magnetic rod sticks up alot higher it would also catch more metal in the oil ........ maybe I am wrong?
Old 02-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #7

Up to a point, you do not want the plug to protrude up so high it gets in the way of things. A strong enough magnet exerts its field out into the oil without having to stick up further, gets the job done without being in the way. One of the most common ways to pick up metal in the oil is to surround the filter with a very strong magnet, so nothing is actually protruding into the oil, but rather the oil flows over a magnetized surface, but this gets expensive:

Old 02-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

Is the filter cover metal on the boxster? couldnt one just stick a strong magnet to the outside of it if so??
Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #9

It would be if you also purchased LN's billet spin on filter adapter, instead of the cheap plastic/paper OEM one.

I have both the adapter and the LN drain plug on my car with excellent results. I can also assure you, the LN plug is very powerful.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
It would be if you also purchased LN's billet spin on filter adapter, instead of the cheap plastic/paper OEM one.

I have both the adapter and the LN drain plug on my car with excellent results. I can also assure you, the LN plug is very powerful.

I can second this & I also use a "FilterMag" on my rebuilt engine. I keep an extra drain plug here in O.C. CA if you are local.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #11

How is the magnet connected to the actual drain plug on the LN? Glue or weld or ??? ...... what happens if it loses its charge and come loose from the plug?