Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Anyone Replaced Their Center Console?

Guys -- on my list of improvements this year is new center console for my 2001. Cosmetically it's just shot. Has anyone ever had a full center console replacement done. Just trying to get a rough idea on costs. I'm not wrench-capable enough to do this myself.

Any insight much appreciated?

d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #2

that's what I did:
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Leather_Upholstering.html

looks great and cost less than $50

sorry, just saw your post that "you're not wrench capable yourself"
are you sure? on a scale of 1 to 10, this is maybe a 2
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #3

If it is just paint and not damage Eric the Plug guy at bumperplugs.com can fix you up with a paint job in most any color.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
Guys -- on my list of improvements this year is new center console for my 2001. Cosmetically it's just shot. Has anyone ever had a full center console replacement done. Just trying to get a rough idea on costs. I'm not wrench-capable enough to do this myself.

Any insight much appreciated?
I agree with the other two suggestions. Leather covering is an option - or paint job - at least to consider as alternatives. They will both require you to remove the center console though and I noted your comments on your "wrench-capabilities".

So you have a couple of options as I see it:

1. Get the console replaced by a mechanic/dealer. I think the MSRP for the console is $398. Labor is dependent on where you live, but will run you probably another $300-$400.

2. DYI "New Console" - buy a new console online. Should be able to get an OEM for around $275 (I found one on a website really quick for $285). There are plenty of good articles with pictures on how to remove the center console. All you need is a Torx set - will set you back $30 and it will take you a couple of hours. Even if you don't have a ton of experience, you can do it.

3. DYI "Repainted" - remove the console and have it repainted. Bumperplugs is a good option - haven't used him myself, but from the pics and reviews I have seen, it looks awesome. Again it will require you to remove and install it yourself.

4. DYI "Leather" - remove the console and cover it in leather. I have just ordered leather online ($100 for 38 sqft) and I am going to cover mine in black leather next week-end. It will again require that you remove it yourself.

I would really encourage you to evaluate whether you think you have the skills (it's actually pretty easy) to try one of the DYI options and save some money. If you were leaning towards option 1 in the first place, then why not give it a shot and invest the $30 in a torx set and remove it yourself? Worst case scenario is that you can't do it - and you can take it to shop and have them do it. Best case scenario is that you can actually figure it out and you have not only saved hundreds, but also feel great. Btw - if you don't feel you can handle it, then there is also a hybrid option, where you but the part and then have the shop install it for you.

Let us know what you decide - and let us know if we can help. The great thing about this forum is that you can upload a couple of photos with your issue and there are plenty of capable people that can help you through this.

Please let us know what you decide to do...

Thanks,
Lars
Tandrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #5

You've given me a lot to think about, guys. Thanks. I'll look at the options in depth and keep you posted on where I end up.

As well-made as these cars are, I'm really surprised/disappointed in how the center console and other plastic coated areas have deteriorated and are easily scratched -- not only in my car but in several 996s I've seen. I don't think I've seen a less hearty coated plastic used in these applications.

You can't have it all!
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Mike, I took mine off and painted it myself, plastic is a pain to paint, needs to be sanded several times to get it smooth but then I didn't use a special plastic paint that I heard are out there. I think the painting and making it look nice is actually harder then removing and putting back on. If you take your time and follow directions closely you should be able to handle it.
I've been over to bumperplugs and seen Eric's work, let's put it this way, I painted my own and it looks great (I attached a pic) but when I saw his there was just no comparison, I ended up getting my bumperettes paint by him since I had already invested my time in my own painting of the console.
I would suggest you attempt to take yours off and if you get stuck you have lost nothing. There are several places that sell nice used ones too, just search on the internet for porsche dismantlers.
Attached Images

WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote