Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #1

Failed Cat = Bypass pipes?

So I'm curious...
I've had a "ticking" exhaust leak for some time.. i haven't had time to get in to the shop to get it diagnosed/smoked and partly because I'm scared he'll say "it's at the manifold".. so, it's been put off for a long time.

Occasionally, usually in foul weather (cold or wet), it'll throw 1 or 2 codes (Secondary Air Injection system blah blah). I reset them and go on about my business.

I've been told that after some time, this could lead to fouled/damaged cats. Now, while I've been lusting for cat bypass pipes, I'm thinking, let's say my cats ARE damaged, why would someone replace heavy expensive cats when they could get some bypass pipes for around the same price and possibly increase power a little bit?

side note: how hard is it to change the manifold if the leak is there?

second side note: what are the available bypass pipe sets? I've seen schnell (who I've had good luck with for other parts), and fabspeed (which seem pricey)

Last edited by stateofidleness; 01-16-2011 at 02:44 PM.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofidleness
So I'm curious...
I've had a "ticking" exhaust leak for some time.. i haven't had time to get in to the shop to get it diagnosed/smoked and partly because I'm scared he'll say "it's at the manifold".. so, it's been put off for a long time.

Occasionally, usually in foul weather (cold or wet), it'll throw 1 or 2 codes (Secondary Air Injection system blah blah). I reset them and go on about my business.

I've been told that after some time, this could lead to fouled/damaged cats. Now, while I've been lusting for cat bypass pipes, I'm thinking, let's say my cats ARE damaged, why would someone replace heavy expensive cats when they could get some bypass pipes for around the same price and possibly increase power a little bit?

side note: how hard is it to change the manifold if the leak is there?

second side note: what are the available bypass pipe sets? I've seen schnell (who I've had good luck with for other parts), and fabspeed (which seem pricey)
See my response to your other thread. This may help you understand that you are dealing with more than one set of cats.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

nhp (on ebay or google maxspeed motorsports) and stebro make midpipes.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

would these fit the 2.7L (MY00)?

http://www.****************************************.com/ShowItem/274216%20Porsche%20Boxster%20Secondary%20Cat%20Byp ass%20Test%20Pipes.aspx

I'm not sure if there are differences in diameters etc.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote