Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #1

Power steering pump replacement

Still working on swapping out my engine. I'm swapping all of the accessories on the two engines as the ones on the replacement engine all have bad bearings, while mine all are fine. I'm trying to swap the power steering pump, but I can't get the damn thing out. I took off the pulley and the three bolts holding it on the front. I took the one on the back off, so now the pump is free. However, I cannot get it out of the bracket. It seems like there is not enough room between the housing for the belt tensioner and the pump. Anybody know how to get this out? Do I have to remove the belt tensioner assembly? That means I have to remove the oil filler tube (which I'd rather not seeing how brittle they are).

Also, how the hell do I return line out of the back of the pump? The Bentley manual doesn't really help here. It says to push it forward. I can't get it to move at all, and it's getting all chewed up. I'd like to figure out how to get it out correctly so I don't destroy the one I'm going to keep.

I'm pretty unimpressed with OK Foreign BTW. Rather than remove the engine correctly, they just cut lines. That means I have to swap them all from one engine to the other. Also, somebody cut two wires one the harness and just used blade connectors to splice them. They're not even wrapped in tape. If I put it in the car that way, they would short out. I'm swapping the wiring harness too. What a PITA. It's taking me longer to clean up the engine and swap the accessories than it took me to remove the engine (and probably to install it too). Also, the engine is a mess. It's got puddles of oil and water all over on the top of the engine. When I removed the liquid, there are leaves and dirt/mud filling all the little low spots on the engine case. I spent 2 hours cleaning it up today.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Still working on swapping out my engine. I'm swapping all of the accessories on the two engines as the ones on the replacement engine all have bad bearings, while mine all are fine.
Yikes. If this stuff is all hooped, and with the way OK Foreign removed the engine, how did you get a comfort factor that the engine itself is actually in decent shape?

And what fixes / mods have you done to the engine to deal with the multiple failure modes. (My apologies if this is covered in another thread and I missed it.)

And I think I'd want to find out if the oil filler tube is bad now, before the engine goes back into the car...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Yikes. If this stuff is all hooped, and with the way OK Foreign removed the engine, how did you get a comfort factor that the engine itself is actually in decent shape?

And what fixes / mods have you done to the engine to deal with the multiple failure modes. (My apologies if this is covered in another thread and I missed it.)

And I think I'd want to find out if the oil filler tube is bad now, before the engine goes back into the car...
They guaranteed it for 90 days, and that includes a leak down test. Of course, if it doesn't run right, I will have to pull it again and send it back, but I suspect it won't be a problem.

I did the IMS from LNE. It's got the new style RMS, so that's not a worry. I'm just swapping all the accessories and wiring harness too. It needed a new mount also.

Oh yeah. I'm really glad I decided to check all of the hoses, tubes, wires and lines on the replacement engine. I found a vacuum line that was just cut. Easy replacement

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote