Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #1

S and non S guage clusters

So I went up to LA 2 days ago and test drove a few Boxster S'. First off let me say I now realize, having driven these newer model Boxsters, that either a) early Boxsters were not as well built as post-2000 986's or b) my old car was in really bad shape. These Boxster S' felt much more stable through turns, but more importantly much more planted and stable through the rain and the bad LA roads (it was raining like crazy yesterday, as I'm sure you've seen on the news).

Anyway, onto the main point here. Although I didn't find one in LA that I felt comfortable buying, there is a 2000 Boxster S in Scottsdale, AZ that has low mileage and is worth having a look at. The only issue I see is that this Boxster in Scottsdale has the gauge cluster that looks like the one from my old Boxster (although it's white and not black), however the Boxster S' I saw in LA had updated gauge clusters that had a bigger screen in the middle for a computer, plus the digital speedometer was moved off to the left with the analog speedometer. I'm wondering if this is normal for a Boxster S to have the same gauge cluster as a non-S, or if this is a different cluster that has been installed.

Also, as a side note, do post 2000/Boxster S' have shorter throws than the older Boxsters? I certainly felt like it did when out test driving yesterday, I'm just not sure if it's because I haven't driven a manual in awhile or if there really is a difference.

Last edited by Lordblood; 12-23-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #2

My 2000S has the digital speedo in the center cluster like you describe. I know that they moved the digital speedo to the left in later years, but someone who has more knowledge of the model year changes, will have to tell you when that was done.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker
My 2000S has the digital speedo in the center cluster like you describe. I know that they moved the digital speedo to the left in later years, but someone who has more knowledge of the model year changes, will have to tell you when that was done.
That's exactly it. The speed readout moved to the speedometer in 01.

To the OP, the difference you describe in handling indicates that your car has a handling problem. It could be worn struts, tires or bushings or your car needs an alignment. The S has stiffer springs and sway bars than non S but general stability shouldn't be very different.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-24-2010 at 10:38 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #4

Before I bought my 00S, I drove a 01S and couldnt stand the digital speedo being in the middle. The 00S had less miles, was in better shape, and I liked the cluster better so I bought it.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #5

My '02S has the computer screen in the middle like you described with the digital speedo on the left in the speedometer. That's where I like it. Makes sense to have the digital with the analog. Seeing the digital numbers is a good fast check, it's the 5% calculation to get to "actual" speed that takes me a little while.

Last edited by Sunshine State; 12-24-2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: wanted to say more
Sunshine State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure the bushings, along with the rest of the suspension, had worn out parts. It would squeak over bumps and there was a noticeably larger amount of body roll the last few months I drove it.

So this is perfectly normal then? I actually like having the digital speedo right under the tach, it means I can just look at the middle gauge for all the immediate information I need. However I'm guessing this means there will be no clever computer on pre 01 Boxsters.

By the way, this is a 00 red Boxster S with 48k miles at a small dealer in Scottsdale. Like I said I will be seeing it on Monday, I'll give an update about what happens afterward.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #7

I've driven a boxster with the digital speedo under the analog speedo and really dislike it.

When I'm driving hard, I want to look in one place for my RPM's and speed. This is why I think Porsche put them together in the beginning and went back to having them together in later models and why it's that way today.

Just my two cents' worth.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I drove a 2011 Boxster on Friday, and the digital speedo was in the tach housing. Go figure.

I personally find it annoying to look at the speedo to get the digital readout, would be much more convenient for it to be with the tach.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Lordblood, I looked at the car on the internet...very nice, that is 1k less then I paid for mine with about the same mileage, looks like a good time to buy. Keep us updated on how it actually looks in person. If they put tires on it that will save you $450 to $800 bucks too.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350
Lordblood, I looked at the car on the internet...very nice, that is 1k less then I paid for mine with about the same mileage, looks like a good time to buy. Keep us updated on how it actually looks in person. If they put tires on it that will save you $450 to $800 bucks too.
At the moment, I'm much more concerned about the car being in good condition mechanically than things like tires/belts/filters needing to be changed. That being said, I'd love it if they put a set of tires in for me :P.

I'll give you guys an update tomorrow, in the meantime I'll be dreaming.