Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2005, 05:46 AM   #1

Vandalism!!!!!!

I just noticed that someone had taken a sharp object or knife to the rear window of my 99 box...!!!!!!!!!

I noticed it as I was trying to put down my top and had to get out for the "Boxster chop"!!!!!!!!

THe cut is about 3 inches long..and is deep enough that it goes all the way through the plexiglass..,,,!!!!

I don't think I will replace the whole top just for this little cut.....but I seem to recall some other people on this forum who experienced similar vandalism....

are there any DIY that I can perform on this..??? besides water proof tape!!

THanks guys!!

dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #2

that blows. Take it directly to a top installer. My guess is a mixture of clear silicone with a narrow strip of clear vinyl.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 AM   #3

Take the car to a trim shop that does replacements on convertible windows. They can usually replace just the window... price varies. I've read forum posts of $200 to $500.

A new, German-made top from Ebay is $400 plus a hard day's work to install it yourself. My mechanic quoted $400 to install one if I brought the top to him.

You do not want to even talk to the dealer as their prices for tops begin with a four digit price and go up from there.

This may well be the perfect time to save up and buy the newer glass window replacement tops for non-glass window boxsters hitting the market for about $1100.00. I know you probably didn't want to hear that price tag... I winced when I heard it as well—but it will certainly come down over time.

Hope this helps.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #4

Can you post some info on a glass top conversion for a 97-02 986? for a little over 1K I would be interested in that.
tqtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:16 AM   #5

thanks guys...

this definitely bummed me out....

I was looking at the ebay top....does anyone know if it isan easy install...I'm not the most technical person but not the worst either...I ouwldn't mind giving it a go/...any special tools required..??

although the sound of a glass replacement top is quite enticing....no more boxster chop, bigger glass window.....the price is what puts me off though....
Old 05-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqtran
Can you post some info on a glass top conversion for a 97-02 986? for a little over 1K I would be interested in that.
Check out www.gahh.com or www.cabrioworld.com for pictures. Cabrioworld is a distributor for the manufacturer GAHH. Right now the price at both sites is about $695 but the the the price at GAHH is only temporary until the end of the month and goes back up to $950. A person at a different Porsche forum has reported a successful self install.

There's also the one from BAS International but I think it goes for about $1100.

I don't have any business ties with any of the companies mentioned.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 AM   #7

does anyone know a good/reputable.. convertible top installer shop in the boston area.....???

I am considering a glass top replacement....IF i can keep the cost down...
Old 05-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennizxxx
does anyone know a good/reputable.. convertible top installer shop in the boston area.....???

I am considering a glass top replacement....IF i can keep the cost down...
If you can't get anyone to refer a good top shop, GAHH can provide a list of installers in your area via a form at their website.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #9

Man that really sucks. I guess at the very least you were "lucky" (if you can call it that) they didn't take that knife or whatever it was and use it on the paint. Ignorant jerkoffs like that make me sick. If someone vandalized my car I would be so angry I don't know what I'd do. Stuff like this makes me never want to leave my car unattended for long. Best of luck with fixing the top.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:54 AM   #10

Concur w/Adam - that sucks. I try to be conscious of where I park and how long I leave the car, but in the end there's no stopping a determined jerk. May the repair shops be kind -
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #11

Vandals exists everywhere sorry for your incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Concur w/Adam - that sucks. I try to be conscious of where I park and how long I leave the car, but in the end there's no stopping a determined jerk. May the repair shops be kind -
Sometimes in NY they are the ones that perpetrate the deed. I once had my tires puncture by a kid in the neighborhood he was caught and forced to make restitution. Straight application of Hammarabi's Law. A finger for first offenders would solve the problem.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:52 AM   #12

thanks all...

yeah i try to be conscious of where I park...well lit, "safe" places....

but I guess there is nothing you can do about these things...even in a garage it could happen...

While I am very angry at the damage ( I find myself looking at the cut in my rear view mirror..everytime!!!), I still take comfort in the fact that the boxster is a great car.....I went for hour long ride and felt a lot better...!!!!!