Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #1

At what mileage do Boxsters start breaking down?

Obviously, there will be a lot of variance.....but I've noticed that you don't see too many porsches around near the 200k mark.

What's the most mileage you all have gotten out of your cars?

DerrickCaracter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #2

That really is too broad of a question. You will find many members here have well over 100k even some up to 200k on their cars.
+ I think we already have a mileage thread around here some where...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)

Last edited by kabel; 12-17-2010 at 05:11 AM.
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
JTP

Considering the broad range of use gor these cars, it's really difficult to say. Most Boxsters seem to be occasional use cars but there are many that are DD also. Lack of use seem to destroy these cars more than anything.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickCaracter
Obviously, there will be a lot of variance.....but I've noticed that you don't see too many porsches around near the 200k mark.

What's the most mileage you all have gotten out of your cars?
They usually start to fall apart somewhere between 1000 miles and 200,000 miles and anywhere in between. My car has 92K, I am the second owner and she does 20 track days per year. Runs like new.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #5

Varies

by luck, how well maintained, how driven.

I know of 2 cars at 200k plus. Both very well maintained since new. One by a dealer, one by the owner. One driven daily and on many multi-k-mile-long road trips. One driven in many AX events and on the track by an instructor.

Many cars suffer from neglect and so it isn't seen as worthwhile to maintain them. Many over a 10 year life get in accidents. Some pass into the hands of people without the smarts or the $ to maintain them. And so eventually they become parts cars.

Mine at the 9+ years mark is still more reliable than my Honda, or Acura.

So I'm not sure we can say for sure...except you hear more about cars that are having troubles than you do about problem free cars that are probably being driven rather than being written about.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #6

well you don't see many Boxsters in the first place. Outside a car club or autocross club, how many people do you know or have you known who have one?
I would venture to say that the vast majority I've known have a second or third car and use the Boxster only for occasional weekend use. You're never going to get the limited numbers of Boxsters that are indeed out there into high miles with that kind of limited usage.
But that said, the first 50K miles of my Boxster have been more reliable than any Japanese car I've ever owned. Certainly more reliable than past American and German cars. The only caveat if you will, is that when the car does need repair it costs three times as much to fix. "Major maintenance" which you do once ever 100K miles like the clutch, IMS upgrade, shocks/springs, brakes/rotors, can easily run over $7,000 all in. Tires at $1,000 a set are also not cheap, but those are the same tires that go on any other sports car of this quality. At any rate if you buy this car you have to put money aside every month for big ticket repairs and maintenance. And you'd be wise to do one big preventative repair every year or so rather than to put them all off because you could be faced with two big repairs to do at the same time and that can catch you off guard.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
Considering the broad range of use gor these cars, it's really difficult to say. Most Boxsters seem to be occasional use cars but there are many that are DD also. Lack of use seem to destroy these cars more than anything.
I find this to be so true. Another factor in the shorter life span of a boxster (or any car) is neglect, or failure to do preventive maintence. That is why you want to look for a car with a good service history. I truely believe that if you own a boxster and you keep it in a garage even if you drive it everyday it could last you a lifetime. You may not have the same parts in the motor or transmission as you did when you started out but if you look over your car well top to bottom at least twice a year and keep up on any repairs needed, replaceing worn-out items, how long of a life could you get out of a boxster, 200,000, 300,000 and 20 or 30 years? My NB has over 200,000 on it and is over 10 years old. People can not believe it when they see the odometer. But I do maintain the car, replace worn-out items, keep the paint nice. I truely do not believe that there is a point where a car (that has been maintained) becomes to much of a money pit. But I do think that there are cars out there that are a money pit because of neglect or lack of use. Does'nt mean they can't be saved (Randall) because they can but it is always better to start with a better base. Like Randall says "Buy the newest boxster you can afford".

Or the simple answer. A car will last you as long as you care for it.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
At any rate if you buy this car you have to put money aside every month for big ticket repairs and maintenance.
And this should be done with any car. If you really think about how hard our cars work for us and how well they do their job, it is truely amazing. It makes me laugh to hear someone complain about a car that has let them down by not starting or because a coilpak went bad and it didn't work right for a couple of days but you rarely hear anyone say "my car has worked for me everytime I needed it for the last three years, keeping me dry when it's raining, warm when it's cold, and cool when it's hot outside.

Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote