Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
I don't understand the thinking behind owning a great car and not driving it everyday? Why on earth would someone own a Porsche and leave it in the garage to drive some other POS?

I bought my Boxster to drive every minute of every hour of everyday that is humanly possible. And when it wears out, I'll buy another one and do the same ad infinitum.

A Boxster isn't an appreciating asset. Driving a Boxster less might preserve some of the original value of the car (because Boxsters depreciate more on miles than years) but the value is still going down every year regardless of how many miles driven. For example, the difference between a 2000 Boxster with 100,000 miles ($10K) and a 2000 Boxster with 40,000 miles ($16K) is only about $6K - which is almost nothing compared to the original $48,000 price.
I agree with you, I drive my car through the winter snow but I understand why others put their cars away for the winter and if you're in LA, it's easier for you to say "drive it everyday" than someone living in Western NY who has 48" of snow on the ground with the state spraying rock salt on the roads.

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #22

Cool

I'm in the south. Drive all year round.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #23

Kinda hard to describe to someone who doesn't feel the same way. I don't see these cars as disposable, to be driven into the ground and then discarded, especially the older ones as there are fewer of them every day. I want my car to last for a very long time, forever if possible, because I really like this car.

And so I protect it from harsh environments that will shorten it's life, like Canadian winters. My car is 12 years old and it still looks almost like new. I guarantee it would not look this way after three winters, never mind twelve.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
It sure is legal in India

On the galvanized body panels comment, I have a couple of rust spots on my 97 box about the size of a dime and a quarter. I've been meaning to do something about them but didn't want a hideous patch of whatever there that would be more noticeable. It's growing though.

I mention this because boxsters do rust. My car was originally a DD driven around in Salt Lake City, according to the title search I did before I purchased the car.
Does the car still have original paint? Was it in any fender bender? If you don't know the answer to these then all chips are off.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #25

I bought my Boxster specifically to be a daily driver, year 'round in Chicago. It's great in the snow with snow tires on it. In fact, it's one of the best winter cars I've ever driven.

Although the cars are far less prone to rust than older cars, stuff like bolts do rust. So if you're going to drive your car in the white stuff, I'd get some Boeshield and spray any screws and bolts exposed under the car.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #26
JTP

On my drive home tonight, there was a Porsche advert on the radio.
It said "Porsches can handle just about anything and with proper winter tires they can handle the snow fine, especially an AWD 911. The only thing Porsches can't handle is being trapped in a garage."
Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Kinda hard to describe to someone who doesn't feel the same way. I don't see these cars as disposable, to be driven into the ground and then discarded, especially the older ones as there are fewer of them every day. I want my car to last for a very long time, forever if possible, because I really like this car.

And so I protect it from harsh environments that will shorten it's life, like Canadian winters. My car is 12 years old and it still looks almost like new. I guarantee it would not look this way after three winters, never mind twelve.
+1 on this, My Box Is a 99 also W/58K miles on it and it looks and drives like I just drove it off the show room floor.

I would not dream of driving mine after Dec 1st, I am not saying you can not drive are cars all year,I just do not have the hart to drive mine in Michigan winters.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #28

I'm mainly trying to avoid the salt in the winter
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #29
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I'm driving the 98 this winter, not much fun on bumpy ice potholes. I usually drive the 924S in the winter but it needs a water pump, head gasket, and tranny.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 12-15-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #30

Winter is San Diego is definitely not most peoples' idea of winter. However, with the rains (heavy and light) my '01 daily driver does just fine.

My only issue was with tires. When I have Kumho Ecsta ASX on, they grip well on wet or dry. When I have Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on, the rear end likes to let go a bit quicker on hard cornering. They LOVE the dry pavement and stick like glue.

My car doesn't know what snow is and likely never will.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18...7/mgaside2.jpg
impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #31
JTP

Porsche's own winter driving school:
http://www.porsche.com/canada-pde/en/yourcamp4/learn/

A bit pricey at $4995 CAD
Old 12-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #32

Why on earth would I destroy my mint condition Box S, when my Grand Cherokee goes through the white stuff so easily?
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote