Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Windshield Washer Tank Repair?

A couple of months ago when driving into a parking lot with the top down I was turning into a parking place and heard what sounded like a crack by the front end on the drivers side. When I got back from the appointment I saw some fluid on the ground by the drivers-side tire. At the time I thought it was a can of red bull in the front trunk that had popped and was leaking.

But then when my replace washer fluid light dash light went on I figured that the hose had come off the washer fluid tank or the tank had cracked, if the later, it was a funny place/time for it to occur as there were no bumps or stresses on the car that I could see.

I finally got a chance today to get the car up, tire off, and wheel-liner removed. Could not see any cracks in the washer tank so added a little washer fluid, then I saw a crack/split where the fluid was slowly comming out. Being both lazy and cheap when the need arises, I thought I would try to fix it instead of replacing the tank.

So I cleaned the tank surface with acetone, sanded the area with 400 grit sand paper and cleaned it again. Then put on a coating of silicon sealant, the sort of stuff used to put aquaria together. Takes 48 hours to dry, so I am waiting.

My question is has anyone tried to repair one of the windshield washer tanks like this and have they had any luck, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #2

Not me, one time my hose came off though. It being plastic and plastic can be glued and since there is no pressure in the tank, your fix should work. Me, I would have used some sort of plastic weld.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #3

windshield washer tank

I have the same problem but I have been to lazy to repair it .As I don't drive the car in the rain and is always parked in the garage I don't need the liquid to clean my windshield.I think your solution should work though as there is not much pressure on the tank.I am just wondering why it would crack in the first place.There must be a stress point somewhere.
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #4

I would try a plastic sealer but find the heat expanding and contracting will eventually reopen the crack.

Try to find a used or new one. Or just disconnect it all together and just have bottled water with you at all times.

love'em!
AutoAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote