View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
edevlin

Windshield Washer Tank Repair?

A couple of months ago when driving into a parking lot with the top down I was turning into a parking place and heard what sounded like a crack by the front end on the drivers side. When I got back from the appointment I saw some fluid on the ground by the drivers-side tire. At the time I thought it was a can of red bull in the front trunk that had popped and was leaking.

But then when my replace washer fluid light dash light went on I figured that the hose had come off the washer fluid tank or the tank had cracked, if the later, it was a funny place/time for it to occur as there were no bumps or stresses on the car that I could see.

I finally got a chance today to get the car up, tire off, and wheel-liner removed. Could not see any cracks in the washer tank so added a little washer fluid, then I saw a crack/split where the fluid was slowly comming out. Being both lazy and cheap when the need arises, I thought I would try to fix it instead of replacing the tank.

So I cleaned the tank surface with acetone, sanded the area with 400 grit sand paper and cleaned it again. Then put on a coating of silicon sealant, the sort of stuff used to put aquaria together. Takes 48 hours to dry, so I am waiting.

My question is has anyone tried to repair one of the windshield washer tanks like this and have they had any luck, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote