Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #1

Strange sound from rear wheel, bearing going bad?

Hi,
I have a strange sound coming from rear right wheel, it sounds like a little rock is stuck in the tire and I also have very tiny vibrations that doesn't affect driving, they are just annoying. Sound increases with speed and it changes a bit (very little) when I change lanes.
Can it be wheel bearing?

When my previous bearing went bad I had a whoooping sound, it was like tire noise. this is different.

Any ideeas where to start looking?

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #2

check your inside tread??
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #3

Wheel bearings make different sounds do to how the bearing is beginning to fail. Check to see if the brake cable tie has broken at the rear wheel. When it breaks it could bend outward toward the wheel and it maybe hitting at one spot. Also, the rear wheel holds the parking brake...you may need to remove the rotor and do some serious cleaning...mine was very nasty when I replaced my rotors.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #4

I recently replaces brake/rotors and rear tires a 1 yo..

It does sound like a wheel stud is touching the parking brake.. but there are no signs of that inside..

I guess I'll just replace the bearing and see if it fixes the problem..

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Any mechanic worth their salt should be able to diagnose a bad wheel bearing if it is making as much noise as you describe. The car needs to go on a lift where it can be properly evaluated. Don't just automatically replace it.

gregwils is offline   Reply With Quote