Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #21

Don't wish to start another oil debate, but there are far better alternatives than Mobil 1 0W40 to protect your precious engine. It won't take twenty minutes to search for the posts on the forum, either.

When was the last time coolant was changed? Ate Super Blue is a good choice...I've run it in all my P-car for years.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #22

I'm not fixed on the oil yet. I might use rotella 5w40 instead. We'll see. I'm somewhat of a motor oil nut (having done about 10 blackstone analyses over the past 3-4 years). I have a nice stash of 0w40 that's waiting to be used up and it's an excellent oil for year long runs. Anyway...

Coolant was changed int he last 2 years when the expansion tank blew. Actually, I meant to make a note on that and forgot....I still smell coolant when I open the trunk after everytime I drive, even though the fluid level always looks great. It either was never cleaned out of the trunk, or the cap is venting, or the pull-up valve o-ring is busted....

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 AM   #23
JTP

Joe,

Check out these articles relating to Rotella, which is a CJ-4/SM rated oil and uses a reduced ash formulation with less anti wear additives (mainly Zinc and Phosphorous) and see how other Porsche owners have fared using this oil.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/367300-ultimate-motor-oil-thread-why-we-hate-cj4-sm-oils.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/332678-new-shell-rotella-15w-40-now-has-boron.html
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #24

JTP -

Those oil arguments you linked too have been raging for a few years on just about every car forum that has flat tappet lifters in their core engines or in older engines commonly used by the membership. AFAIK, our boxsters use rollers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Joe

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
I swear I've seen a DIY and tips on where to purchase shifter bushings, but now I've spent 20 minutes and I can't find them for sale nor a DIY...any tips?
Hey Joe, did you ever figure out anything on these? My shifter is pretty sloppy these days (59K miles)---I'm pretty much sure the motor mount has something (a lot?) to do with it. (Planning on replacing it once the weather gets warm enough to work in the garage.) But I've wondered about the bushings as well. My kid tells me I should replace them, but I've never read anything about doing that in this forum (admittedly, I've not Searched)...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #26

Coolant replace
Water pump
thermostat