Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
jow

986 2004 Boxster S option code

Hi All,

I just bought an 2004 Boxster S and had a look at the option codes on various websites.

One thing which confuses me a bit: My car has the option code 342 on the sticker which should be "Seat heating system left/right".

But there are no switches in the centre console to switch that heating on/off.
And I am pretty sure the console has not been switched by the previous owner.

Does this mean my seats are heated (in theory) but the switches have not been installed by the factory?
Would it be possible to install them to get heated seats?

Can someone sched some light into my darkness?

Thanks,
jow

jow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #2

To ensure the option, take a look at this.

http://www.kindel.com/Porsche/options.asp

Also, I would see if there are wires simply disconnected and ready for hookup under the ashtray module. Take the actual metal tray out and there should be a couple torxbits you need to remove to get the rest of it out.

I learned this when I converted mine to the non-smoker version. Once you get it apart, and if you have wires, then purchase a couple switches and connect them.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

That's a good question...

Maybe you could double check with the dealer that the car had heated seat before..

maybe it's just a number for something else?.. with the VIN the dealer could tell you what exact option they had (just like you can do with your sticker but here it look like missleading)

What that option list you found specifically for the Boxster ?

You could maybe look at the wirring to see if the connection are there (if the seat are heatable)

Usually someone would change the seat, and leave the button there.. not the reverse.. :P

Good luck and let us know
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #4

On my car

an '01S I have options codes 139 and 340 which are the individual seats heated, left and right. I do have switches and working heated seats. So it may be that the individual codes are necessary before they hooked up the wiring and put in the switches.

Maybe someone who has an '03 and has working heated seats can comment on how their option codes look.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

I have option 342 and mine has heated seats.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
jow

Hi,

thank you for the replies!

I had a look at the option code list for a Boxster. The link you provided gives 'strange' options for a Boxster.
The list I found gave me the correct codes (for example 411 as 18" Carrera Wheels or 571 Charcoal filter and so on) so I assume the list I found is correct.

anyway: I lifted the ashtray out and lifted the console which contains the switches.
I found two unused rather large connectors, one white and one black, each had six or seven cables attached to it.

Are these for the seat heating? That would be easy I then only need to buy the switches or don't I?

Regards,
jow
jow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jow
Hi,

thank you for the replies!

I had a look at the option code list for a Boxster. The link you provided gives 'strange' options for a Boxster.
The list I found gave me the correct codes (for example 411 as 18" Carrera Wheels or 571 Charcoal filter and so on) so I assume the list I found is correct.

anyway: I lifted the ashtray out and lifted the console which contains the switches.
I found two unused rather large connectors, one white and one black, each had six or seven cables attached to it.

Are these for the seat heating? That would be easy I then only need to buy the switches or don't I?

Regards,
jow
You most likely have the wirring in the car for the seat.. the question is: do you have heatable seat connected at the other end of that wire? :P
Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #8

I'd try and get a couple switches and connect the wires up to them. Sounds like you have the infrastructure in place, but no switches.

Also, these switches tend to be harder to find than the dash switches.

The following vendor has a pretty good handle on them. Maybe start with a call to them.

http://www.986online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Store.cgi?Dept+Boxster

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:57 AM   #9

Can I suggest you to take a look at the seat wiring to see if they seems to have the heating wiring plugged?
Or take a look at the part number of the seats and check with the dealer (or online) hey it's the 'heated seat' part number or the 'non heated seat' part number..