Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:39 AM   #1

New owner 2003 Porsche Boxster S need help

Hello,

A few weeks ago I purchased a 2003 Boxtser S and I love it!!! However I am having a couple issues, as expected, and I hoped to find some answers here on the forum.

The first issue to address is a gear oil leak. I have a 6 speed and it appears I am leaking oil where the shift lever enters the transmission. It seems loose and looks as though it will flex when I shift causing oil to leak. Is this a common problem with these cars and do I have to pull the tranny and open the case to repair this??? Ouch if so.

The second issue is a fault code for the secondary air valve (selonoid). This should be an easy repair but help me answer one foolish question. The 2003 boxster has the factory installed rear glass window. How do you put the top in service mode in order to access the engine? Is Porsche foolish enough to add a factory part that would prevent easy acces to the engine or am I the fool?

Please help with these issues if you can. Thanks, Rob

Trebor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #2

did you ever get a response?

I have the same leak on my car -- what was cause and fix?
ucsbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #3

Do a search for rear main seal (rms)
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #4

ask JFP i think he answered someone about the selector shaft bushing leak,i think he said it wasnt an easy or cheap fix
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #5

I have an 01, but my understanding is that the 03/04 glass conv top goes into the maintenance position just the same way as all others, with plenty of access.

You might want to invest in a Bentley's manual - it's full of great info for the do-it-yourselfer.

I had a code for the secondary air a few months ago (P0410). I cleared it and it never came back. That's an emissions system and doesn't really affect your engine performance.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

While this is not an uncommon problem, the shift lever on the tail housing rides in a bronze bushing that is pressed into the tail housing. Unfortunately, that bushing is not available as a replacement part (it is actually machined in place during manufacture, making replacement impossible). When it wears and starts to leak, the trans will need to be removed and disassembled, and a new tail housing (read expensive) installed....................
Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #7

Sounds like a new design project for LN Engineering and another high mark for Porsche
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

so -- any danger of failure or being stranded?

So do I live with a mild leak and buy the $12 oil pan? Or, can this lead to catastrophic failure while on the road?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
While this is not an uncommon problem, the shift lever on the tail housing rides in a bronze bushing that is pressed into the tail housing. Unfortunately, that bushing is not available as a replacement part (it is actually machined in place during manufacture, making replacement impossible). When it wears and starts to leak, the trans will need to be removed and disassembled, and a new tail housing (read expensive) installed....................
ucsbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #9

depends on how big the leak is,if its a large puddle you will need to fix it,if a small spot just check the level once a year. heck i had an old truck in the 1950,s that leaked so bad i put 5 pounds of chassis grease in it and worked fine....dont try that with your po
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Please tell me this is only an issue with the 6 speed, and we 5-spd guys are fine...