Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Battery Charger

New battery for the 987. Previous owner let the water go such that the plates were not completely covered and it didn't like it. Purchased a Deltran charger that goes to "float" when the battery is fully charged.

Is there a general opinion as to which method is better?

1. Charge the battery once a month or
2. Keep the charger on it or
3. Something else

Tom
2008 RS60

egapgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #2

I don't think the battery should have lost that much electrolyte in two years. That is a very short life span for a battery. Sounds like over charging. Maybe the previous owner charged the battery with a manual charger?

I leave the battery tender plugged in all the time during storage. As long as the charger is automatic that is exactly what it is designed to do.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #3

Several options

Just drive it especially during the day...and frequently. That will keep the battery charged.

If the charger you have truly turns into a maintainer, then, if you plan to not drive the car for 2 weeks, hook it up. Mine has stayed hooked up for months at a time when I lived where there were long winters where my summer tires were not safe. Battery lasted 5+ years.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #4

Talking

Thanks for the replies.

Brian...I think you are probably right about charging with a manual charger. All I know for sure is that the plates were not completly covered. It took about 350 ml per cell to get the level to the marker. Never would hold a charge for long after that.

As much as I would like, this is not going to turn into a daily driver for a while. Weekends, date nights (with my bride of 40+ years), parades & club events is where it will see the most time being driven. Sure is fun though!

egapgt is offline   Reply With Quote