Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #1

Need Mechaninc in Houston - Check Engine Light

If no one can recommend a good independent mechanic in Houston I'll have to go to the dealership again. In hindsight I realize the problem I am having has been there since I got the car 6 weeks ago. In second gear when I hit about 2500 rpms there is a hesitation and a drop to about 2300 rpms before it accelerates normally. I kinda noticed before but it wasn't until a check engine light came on that I realized there was a problem. The error code was P1341 and I think that matches the symptom. I cleared the code and then test drove the car, repeatedly checking the acceleration in 2nd gear. After 20 or more "tests" the light came back on. I cleared it again and have been driving to work and back the last few days. The light hasn't come back on but I also do my best to avoid that RPM range in 2nd. I don't think I want to wait much longer to get it checked out, though. I don't know what kind of repair cost range to expect.

Surfncpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #2

I spent another couple hours with my good friend Mr. Google. I couldn't find much in the way of positive reviews for any of the Porsche dealerships in town, for service at least. I found plenty of negative reviews, particularly for the dealership I was going to use.

I found some good reviews for Eurocar Werk. Anyone used them? www.eurocarwerk.com
Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #3

There's a thread (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9615&highlight=local+mechanic) that deals with finding good/reasonable indys by geographical locations. I checked and, unfortunately for you, there were no recommendations for Houston, though there were people who asked.

You might want to pm 97 Boxster and wdlnds09, see if they found likely candidates. You could also pm RandallNeighbour, who's had an older Boxster for years and also lives in that area.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #4

Check your local PCA region. Look up the name/address on www.PCA.org to get info re regional contacts. I think it's Lone Star Region.
bluturq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

I have never used them but Eurocar-Werk....

has a good reputation as far as I know. Another name is European Auto Techniks, 1200 Spears Road (at Rankin) 77067 Phone:281-873-5111.

Norm
Norminhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfncpa
I spent another couple hours with my good friend Mr. Google. I couldn't find much in the way of positive reviews for any of the Porsche dealerships in town, for service at least. I found plenty of negative reviews, particularly for the dealership I was going to use.

I found some good reviews for Eurocar Werk. Anyone used them? www.eurocarwerk.com

I just moved to Houston a few months back and I have taken my Porsche to Tates Automotive. Mike Tate is impressive and has a load of nice cars himself. Not sure if the guys in the shop like me cuz I DONT leave my car and I stand there and watch what they do. Very particular and careful with my car and have been more than impressed with them.

Again, its Tates Automotive in Richmond (SW Houston) #281-313-8484 and if you need to tell them that they have worked on my red 97 thats fine. They know me since they have done some service on my Hummer as well. Again, they do not specialize in Porsches but I read great reviews and needed my car inspected and after the service I received from Jason Reece there I was hooked for the convenient stuff. If your problem is much worse then you may want to check them out first and then assess your options.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #7

Garage
It's a bit north of you but I have used in the past

European Concepts
281-354-8500

21645 E Knox Dr
Porter TX 77346

Small shop and the guy takes pride in his work and is fairly priced, gives you the choice of picking up your parts yourself and if you want to stay and watch he is good with it.
boxster6354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354
It's a bit north of you but I have used in the past

European Concepts
281-354-8500

21645 E Knox Dr
Porter TX 77346

Small shop and the guy takes pride in his work and is fairly priced, gives you the choice of picking up your parts yourself and if you want to stay and watch he is good with it.
I like the Stay and Watch part boxster6354
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input. I am so clueless I didn't even know about PCA, which appears to be a good resource to help me keep my Boxster on the road.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Might as well use this thread instead of making a new one.

I found a mechanic. The problem wasn't hard to find. More correctly, the initial cause of the problem wasn't hard to find. Rodents. Chewed wires, droppings, etc. He said it was unlikely that it happened since my purchase because I drive it every day. Good to know I don't have to call an exterminator at least.

A quick internet search shows many stories of this happening to cars. That doesn't make me feel any better, though, since the damage probably would have been caught before I bought it if I had had someone inspect it for me. Live and learn. I had never bought a used car before.

The mechanic says the engine wiring harness needs to be replaced at about $2800. He said he can't guarantee that will fix the engine problem but he was 70-80% sure. He said the fuel lines have been damaged, which probably exlains why it takes 15 minutes to fill up the tank, and that would run another $1100.

I'm not looking for sympathy for the big repair bill, just sharing the story to add to the knowledge base here. I expected some whopper repair bill since I bought it so cheap. What bothers me the most is being without my Boxster for the next several days while it gets fixed. I am already having issues with this unplanned seperation.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #11

They are pesky little vermin.............
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #12
VBM

I was google searching potential check engine light issues on my 98 Boxster and came across this forum (the convo about Eurocar-Werk is what caught my eye). Figured I'd throw in my two cents about the place.

I started using Euro for my oil changes in 2009, and they knock those out in about an hour (for around $150). The staff is very friendly, the mechanics competent, and they've got a waiting room with internet/tv if you aren't the drop-and-leave type. Haven't had any issues with them so far.

I've been hesitant to use them for full maintenance/repairs (I've gotten use to throwing cash at the dealership), but I think I'm going to bite the bullet and see how good Euro is at spotting issues and pricing the repair of those issues regarding this check engine light I have now.
VBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #13

The wait has been agonizing. The parts they ordered finally came in yesterday. I know the holiday didn't help but I didn't expect 7 or 8 working days just for the parts to arrive. Maybe that is typical, I don't know. Eurocar says they will need most or all of next week to do the work. I'm not upset at Eurocar. I think they are doing the best they can, I just really miss my Boxster. I'm not looking forward to driving the rental car for another week.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #14

I finally got my Boxster back. It is going to need to go back to the shop but I'll post about that later.

In my morning brain fog today I put in 8 gallons of regular unleaded (87). I realized my mistake before finishing the fillup and added 2 gallons of premium (93). Should I go get it drained or just drive it? Is there an additive that can add octane to get me through this tank of gas?
Old 12-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #15

Non expert advice I find says to put in the octane booster and put in more 93 octane gas at half a tank. Guess I will go with that.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #16

just drive it out,try not to lug the motor

extanker is offline   Reply With Quote