Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #1

Question Funny honking/hooting sound

Anyone else have this issue? Occasionally when just cruising, and my foot is barely touching the gas, I get this funny honking/hooting sound from somewhere on the right side of the car (2000 Boxster S). As soon as I either take my foot off the gas completely or apply more pressure the sound stops.

It's weird, and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced and diagnosed it...

rodgjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #2

Take a video and post it on youtube so we can hear the noise. Did you check your trunk for geese (or owls) lately?

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #3

noise

I have as well a 2000.I have had this noise that comes from the front right side at constant speed around 30 to 40 mph.It is like a humming noise.If I accelerate the noise goes away.If I gently lift my foot off the gas it stops.If I put my foot on the brake without changing pressure on the gas it stays.I have read on a post that it could be in the vent from the gas fill-up.It is just beside the gas filling.If you put a straw or something similar to extend it it could stop.I want to try this this week and see.My mecanic has no idea.I thought a bearing but it is not getting worse.At higher speeds I don't seem to hear it.
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #4

noise

I mentioned a straw.But someone put a sponge in the vent hole to cut the airflow and the noise stopped.It sounds as if someone is blowing the top of a bottle to make a flute like sound.Does this sound similar?
lahalte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #5

"I get this funny honking/hooting sound from somewhere on the right side of the car"

Sounds like you might have clowns. Have you noticed any banana peels or brightly colored hankies around the car?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
JTP

Are you sure it's not a whistling sound?

http://www.986faq.com/10-0/problems.asp#012

Whistle While Driving

Diagnostic: Whistle sound proportional to speed while driving.

Cause: Wind blowing over gap.

Details: The sound can be caused in several places, but the most frequent is the front edge of the hood. The solution is to have your front hood height adjusted. If the whistle still is there, you can apply a gasket where the front gap appears.

But Mark_T has the best diagnosis, you propably have clowns.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #7

After completely eliminating the clown and goose possibilities I stuck a rag in the gas cap area. It worked! My car is now perfect.

rodgjam is offline   Reply With Quote