Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #1

Interior/Dash Trim Kits

Hello,

I purchased a '99 Boxster last October. Living in New England (Boston) I haven't had a chance to drive the car much as we've had a typically harsh winter, and a cold and wet spring (thus far). In an effort to reduce my frustration and make the car feel more like "mine", I've been considering some interior modifications. My car is pearl white (exterior) with a dark bluish plastic interior. I thought perhaps a wood or brushed aluminum look upgrade may spice things up a bit.

I've been researching the dash trim kits available. From a schematic perspective, this one

http://www.wooddashfactory.com/pages/orders/dashdetail.cfm?partno=DD-8564.02

looks rather complete. I've searched the forum looking for other's past experiences with dash trim kits. There isn't much written on the subject. I did stumble across the idea of painting the interior. That was something I hadn't considered in the past....Definitely sounds interesting.

I'm not entirely comfortable spending $300+ for what amounts to stickers. Nor am I willing to spend the several thousand to purchase the upgrade pieces from a Porsche Dealer.

I was curious to learn if anyone has had any success with dash trim kits. If "yes" a picture would be terrific. I'd hate to junk up my new toy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

vheidenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #2

A good friend of mine installs both synthetic and real wood kits (and carbon fiber, aluminum, etc.) for a living and charges dealerships 200.00 to do a full kit on a Chrysler 300M.

If you are determined to get an interior kit done on your boxster, I would highly recommend you go to a dealership (Chrysler is not a bad place to start as they all seem to put wood kits in their top end cars to make more profits) and ask a salesman to slip you the name and number of the guy they use for their wood kit installations.

He should charge you what he charges the dealership if you give him cash. He will also be using better kits than what is available on the web. Finally, he does it all day long and won't screw it up and get it on crooked... which is huge to me because once that stuff goes down, it does not come up for repositioning... period!

My buddy tells me that the synthetic wood or the carbon or aluminum will not fade in the sunlight like the real wood kits seem to do.

The last thing I think you should know is that few Porsche buyers will want this in the car you sell them... so factor in how long you plan to keep your boxster. If it's a car you plan to keep for ten years, I think you should do whatever you like to the car. But if you plan to trade it in a couple of years, think about resale value and ability to sell the car quickly when that time comes.

Post some pics if you do it though as I'd like to see it!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:02 PM   #3

"I'm not entirely comfortable spending $300+ for what amounts to stickers. Nor am I willing to spend the several thousand to purchase the upgrade pieces from a Porsche Dealer. "

THis is essentially what they look like, stickers. You have to get a molded kit to look right in my opinion. THere is one of these cheaper kits that you are referring to on my Expedition, and while it does not look horrible, I would definetelly not put them on the interior of my Boxster. It looks too cheap if you ask me, and few people are going to want that on the car when you go to sell it. But the bottom line is that who cares what everyone else thinks, if you like it, then go for it.

porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote