Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Relative value of options on a used Box...

Let's say you have two identical 2003 Boxster S's... color, condition, miles are the same.

One has Litronics w/washers, Bose, Headrest Crests, and Heated Seats for options.

The other has the same Litronics, Bose, Crests and Heated Seats, but also adds:

Porsche Stability Management, Cruise Control, 6-disc changer, and the Sport chassis options.

Now... for reference; PSM would have added $1235 to the original cost, Cruise was $570, Changer was $715, and Sport was $705. Total of additional options is $3225.

What is the real-world value difference today in the cost of the two otherwise identical cars for sale in the retail market?

Thanks in advance,

Turbo S

Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #2

As with any car, options are more money added to the base and usually does not add a huge some to the used car price. My 2000 S here in my response, was stickered at $69,700. Car is only worth $16-$18k, but, it's a buyers market and depends on how bad I want to really sell will dictate the final price. Kelly Blue Book does a fair job on pricing, so check it and see what it says.

And, it has a Valentine One Radar System installed with the display in the rear view mirror...cost then was about $2k.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

I think option dont really change the price of a used car of that age, except if you have a buyer that REALLY WANT that PARTICULAR option..

Usually option won't raise the price, it will just make your car more desirable beside the other car with less option for the same price.. so maybe easier to sell.. ..for the same price
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Garage
You present an interesting scenario, however, the sale of any vehicle almost always represents its own "event". As they say in the car world, "for every seat there's an ass". When it comes right down to it, its all about having the right seat, or as it may be, finding the right ass . For example, my boxster has about 40K in mods which I will never see a return on unless the son of a Sheik for whatever reason just has to have it . I which case, I will gladly depart with it for a small fortune.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #5

Garage
I cant say about the US market, but generally, here in the UK, desirability pushes up market value. the right colour, sorry color ( ) factory options and up to snuff maintenance ups the desirability and speed at which a car sells also it may well command a slightly higher sale price.

aftermarket mods and messed about with cars push the value down as does an abscence of paperwork.

from 2001 to 2005 here in the UK silver cars were in high numbers, so its an 'average' colour for that year range.

yellow cars do look great but the demand on the used market is lower, and that reflects in the sale price.

a non factory stereo system wth non stanrd holes in the trim, will command a lower price than a factory standard unit that hasnt been cut about.

a factory bose system, factory crested headrests will for sure separate the car out from the crowd of available equivalents, however, heated seats may not command a premium in southern california or arizona, where on the atlantic coast they may well do.

mine has factory PSM, cruise, sport seats 18' split rims and hard top. but what is all that worth if the maintenance hasnt been kept up with ? not worth an engine that hasnt been maintaned correctly hand-grenading.

you just have to weight the sum of all factors combined, but not let an AVIC upgraded stereo sway you from the car with a mint maintenance history.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

A few hundred at best

probably no difference but the speed of the sale.

The Boxster I want costs $94K. The day I drive it off the lot those options I have to have are almost worthless because I'm competing at resell time with lower priced cars and trying to sell to people who want not to pay new car prices so they will go look at the price of the low optioned car and fix on that. (I know I used it as a negotiating tactic.) And you sell at their idea of the right price or you don't sell at all.

There are thousands of Boxsters for sale right now. Buyers market. Worth what someone will give right now here today. Not what the seller thinks or wants.

Last edited by mikefocke; 10-22-2010 at 04:20 PM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #7

Mike makes some good points.

Here are some other things to consider. The value of individual options is a personal preference. Most people wouldn't pay extra for a CD changer today because owners who are interested in music would install some type of iPod integration.

You would have to ask yourself if the options on one car would outweigh your opinion about the condition of the car.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #8

Just me...but I will always pay up for safety and convenience options

like litronics, PSM, crusie control, power seats - but will pay little to nothing for cosmetic or vanity options - crested seats, NAV, wings, etc.,
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #9

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the subject.

There's an ass for every seat, and a different option set desirable to every one of them I suppose.

I prefer those options that add safety or horsepower, not badging or weight.

Cheers,

Tad
Turbo S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:50 AM   #10

I'd pay up a few hundred bucks to get cruise control and PSM. Definitely.

/
Old 10-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #11

The only real valuable/desirable option is Litronics... it's about $2k new if you want to get it after you bought the car.

Other stuff are all personal preference. The seats might worth some $ if the original owner selected GT3 seats but that's about it.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote