Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #1

Door lock, electrical gremlins!

Hi All,

My wife had shoulder surgery and hasn't driven her 2004 ( 19K miles) boxster for 7 weeks.

When I went to get it cleaned up for her, the drivers door would not open, fresh remote battery, key doesn't work either. Used the key to roll down window and open from the inside.

Started right up, took it for a drive, runs fine as always.

A few min. after I parked it, heard electrical clicking in both doors, humming and tail light flickering. Turned key on, then off, no effect. Opened hood and disconnected ground. Reconnected ground, ok for a while then acted up again.

In the process I also managed to lock the car up (closed door) with battery disconnected. After useless advice from Porsche Dealer (tow it to us) I was able to manually open trunk through RF wheel well thanks to input on this forum from "Mike", many thanks!

I am now back to square one with non-working door handle PLUS electrical gremlins....

Sooo anybody have any ideas as to what's going on here? My alternative is to take it to the dealer... the same guys who told me I was "screwed" with the locked trunk..

HELP!

Thanks to all,

Dave

dave-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

What dealer did you go to? Where in MA are you located?

The battery disables the remote after 5 days of inactivity. Starting the motor should reset this.

The mechanical door lock linkage can come un-done within the door. I have this problem in my 98.

The electrical issues are likely due to a low voltage condition. Start the car and put a voltage meter on the battery. It is likely that you will need a new battery. For long term storage, you should look into a battery maintainer:

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/98061198100.html?Category_Code=986engele
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o
After useless advice from Porsche Dealer (tow it to us)
Hhaahhhaha.. So Useless.. Been there heard that.. LOL..
Not like it's easy to tow a car when your can enter in..

Good luck in all your problem solving, Internet is a great source of solution
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

With my 98 Boxster, whenever I have the trouble with the outside door handle not opening the door, I give a firm thump to the door with my palm right near the handle, and so far it has always opened the next time I try the handle.

It hasn't done it to me in quite a few months now since the last time it acted up.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #5

Rietzl in Norwell, I know some of the guys in the shop and they're good (at least one of them) , but they gave me "the public answer".... you know, dolly and flatbed. I asked the guy " if you can't tell ME how to get in the car how are YOU going to get in? Secret? No help from PNA either, they said they "have no resources" for technical help, you must go to a dealer. I stumped them with "then who trains your technicians"....

Anyway, the car is open. The battery is only a few months old, but I've got it on the charger. Could have been low voltage situation, I drove the car a few miles yesterday. I just checked voltage and it's a tiny bit above 12v, I think it should be a little higher... We shall see.

I'm hoping that the door situation is just a disconnected linkage, although I dont look forward to taking the door apart...

Any more ideas? I will let you all know how this progresses.

Thanks to all,

Dave
dave-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #6

Try calling Auto Engineering in Lexington - http://www.autoengineering.com/
They seem to be good guys and may be willing to give you some support over the phone.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-o
Hi All,

..door would not open, fresh remote battery, key doesn't work either. Used the key to roll down window and open from the inside.

Started right up, took it for a drive, runs fine as always.

A few min. after I parked it, heard electrical clicking in both doors,...
I am now back to square one with non-working door handle PLUS electrical gremlins....

Sooo anybody have any ideas as to what's going on here? My alternative is to take it to the dealer... the same guys who told me I was "screwed" with the locked trunk..

Dave
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave, 8-2 you've got a dicy electrical connetions. This is usually the result of corrosion on friction fit connectors. It can often be remedied simply by pulling the plugs in and out kocking and rubbing corrosion off (can be invisible.

I'd start with the easiest, the fuse. Pull it out & push and pull it in and out a few times. (you can of course use a wire-brush of it. Move to the relay and do the same. You can open the relay and clean the internal contacts if you know how to set up a test to see if it's working or you can whack on the driveway a few times (often works).

I'd go to the other end and check for proper continuity with a DMM in all the little switches in the handle mechanism and make sure your contact are reasonably clean as described above. If that doesn't do it, trace the cable and give each connector the same treatments.

Also, with relays, if you have a feel for the circuitry, you can put your baby finger (most sensitive) on the relay and feel if it clicks on cue as you put the door through it's paces

Don't use anything to course on the contacts if you choose to clean the. You can als use some contact cleaner on the connectors.

Fun huh, my doors out to, PK