Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Better w/o LSD

No, you Nancy Reaganites, this isn't an anti-drug post. After putting a thousand plus miles on my newly acquired 96 Corvette (which is a rocket since swapping the factory rear end with a Dana 44 3.73), I realize that my Boxster with no limited-slip diff is SO MUCH fun to drive. When I blast around a corner on throttle in the Boxster, I get some fun wheelspin on the inside wheel and pop the rear out a few degrees, but the back end stays predictably planted. If I tried that same move in the 'Vette, I'd wind up parked on the sidewalk facing the wrong way.

I've wished for an LSD in the Boxster on the autocross course, but for on-road driving, being able to get a little loose while still being in control is fun - and safe.

The contrast between a 7 year old Porsche (with 35K miles) and a 13 year old Corvette (with just 18K miles) is remarkable. The Boxster is a scalpel; the C4 is a wrecking ball. The Boxster is a harmonious blend of balance and finesse... poise vs. power. The Corvette is a 350 V8 with fat tires and enough plastic and phillips head screws to keep the seat suspended in the middle. Both cause permagrin, but in such profoundly different ways.

I love both cars, and I've been putting MORE miles on the Vette, but I now have even more respect for the meticulous design and precise execution of the Boxster.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

Hmm...the idea of LSD is to keep power on both wheels and prevent wheel spin on one wheel. You can still spin both wheels with LSD.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Since you didn't contradict or clarify anything in my original post, what's your point?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

What I'm saying is it's not better without LSD...

I think what you meant to say is the boxster is more balanced and easier to drive at the limit than the vette.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

My point is that a Boxster equipped with a standard diff can be more fun to toss around than a car with an LSD. Wasting power by converting one of the drive tires into smoke and heat isn't the goal at the track, but it's a kick.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
What I'm saying is it's not better without LSD...

I think what you meant to say is the boxster is more balanced and easier to drive at the limit than the vette.
IMHO, if it's easy, you're not at the limit.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:41 AM   #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyOV3SSRevM
Old 10-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #8

I had LSD in the 944, I'd like to have it in the Boxster too.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I had an LSD in my BMW..hated it. Brand new car, and it would chatter and grind on hard cornering. Felt like my car's rear axle was grinding away. Eventually, you end up having to change the fluid or plates to fix it. I'm glad my Boxster doesn't have it. One less thing to worry about repairing. Lol

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #10

Trust me, repairing the LSD was your last worry on a '44! The counter balancer belt changes, various bushings and hats, rear oil seal leaks and hopelessly long shift linkage were plenty to keep anyone busy. I almost had a Porsche dealer owner as a father in law, (what a Dbag this guy was, OMG) anyhow, he stated that the 944 turbos were even more problematic with leaks and chronic service issues than the NA cars...

Like it's newer brother the boxster buy a 44 that needs work and put more than the acquisition cost in it before you know it. Beyotch of a clutch replacement job,..

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote