Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #1

yeah yeah i know another newbe. vin Q's and model Q's

im one week away from buying a 97 boxster with 77k on the odo. I've been reading alot of good info on here.

here is my question

How do i read the vin?
What numbers/letters do i want to avoid?
did the worst castings have a engine vin code? or is it a gamble?
does assembly location affect engine casting? how do i tell location from vin?

i have already decided to buy a boxster and i know most will say go big and get the "S" but for me im not realy looking for the highest engine performance just reliabillaty and looks. i have a motorcycle for speed

I am an ex Pontiac fiero owner/modifier and even though i loved the performance of my 240hp turbocharged v6 fiero at the end of the day i was still driving a 1980's fiero :ah:

taverncustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by taverncustoms
for me im not realy looking for the highest engine performance just reliabillaty and looks.
Fortunately my car has been fairly reliable but it's a big gamble like you said. There is no consistency in correlation between engine failures and model yrs or engine numbers. Jake Raby has noted some trends in model yrs but nothing definitive like you are looking for.
If you want reliability, a car you can just get in and drive with no worries, a 13 yr old Porsche propably isn't the best choice. These are fun beautiful cars but be ready For the possibility to do alot of research and work.

Last edited by JTP; 10-17-2010 at 04:28 AM.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:26 AM   #3

You should be fine with a 97 model...slipped sleeves and porous cases were discovered very early on and the engines were mostly replaced under warranty...they certainly would not have made it to 77k miles.

Check this site for answers to most your questions...

http://www.986faq.com/1-0/default.asp#012
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:07 AM   #4

Reliability is questionable for a number of reasons, but even more so for a first-model-year unit like the 1997. If I were you I would go to at least 2000, when some issues have been worked out, including slipped cylinder sleeves. And then you could also go for the "S" if so inclined. I like my base. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #5

thanks guys im gonna go for it. ill be getting it next saturday and ill post pics on this fourm. thanks for your help.

taverncustoms is offline   Reply With Quote