Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #1

Cost of an oil change on '02 boxster?

Hi everyone!

Like the title of my post implies, I am wondering how much it will cost me to perform an oil change on my '02 Porsche boxster. Should I go to the Porsche dealer for that kind of service or can I go pretty much at any mechanic's? My car is hitting the 78k mark and given I got the car a few months back and have no clear indication of when the last oil change was performed I want to do this ASAP.
Thanks for your help!

knicksplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
JTP

I wouldn't go to the dealer unless you want to spend way more money than necessary. Most of the forum members here do their own oil changes and it's not a difficult task. I don't have a garage nor a driveway so I don't have that luxury. I take my car to an indie mechanic who races Porsches. I buy my oil filters in bulk from Suncoast and my mechanic charges me $24 labor plus cost of oil. Same price for Motul synthetic 5W40 or Mobil 1 0W40. I get the Motul. He also checks the car over and I'm out the door in about 30-45 minutes paying about a hundred bucks. It's actually cheaper for me to have him do it and I feel alittle better knowing someone atleast looked the car over on a lift.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #3

I live in the boonies

50 miles each way to a dealer, no independent mechanics around that know Porsches.

So about a half dozen of us P-car owners here get our oil changes at the local quick-oil change place. They take $10 off their cheapest oil change rate because I supply my own oil, filter and crush ring. I actually also bring a clean filler plug and they give me back the old dirty one in a baggie for me to take home and clean (but just because I happen to have a spare). I monitor everything they do.

Ask around and see where local owners go.

Or invest in a 10+ quart oil catch pan and a filter wrench that fits the odd sized filter cover and do it yourself. There is nothing special about it if you have changed the oil on another car. Just don't over-tighten lest you strip the pan threads.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

Garage
I have eight vehicles. Five Toyota's, a FLHTC Harley, a '66 VW bug and the Boxster. I can tell you that besides the VW (drain 2.5 qt and refill) the Boxster is the easiest oil change I've worked on in 25+ years. The filter is super easy to get to and remove (fabric strap filter wrench). The sump and plug are right next to it and once drained just fill with 9 quarts of the good stuff.

Easy, peasy, Japanesey...you'll save money and become more in one with your car.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #5

Thanks so much for your answer guys! I will avoid the dealer in that case and find a local mechanic that can be trusted.
knicksplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksplayer
Thanks so much for your answer guys! I will avoid the dealer in that case and find a local mechanic that can be trusted.
I go to autozone, buy 9 bottles of synth and take them to some average mechanic who charges $17 to do the work. Total comes to about $90.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #7

I got my first oil change done at an independent Porsche mechanic for 200 bucks. Last month, I did my first oil change ever, and it cost about 80 bucks including all the tools necessary.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:15 AM   #8

Easy to do yourself with quality lubricants. Order the LN magnetic drain plug; more robust than the factory unit and magnetic to capture any metal floating in your oil (and tip you off to a possible issue). I also have the billet adapter, so I can use a quality spin on filter canister instead of the cheap paper OEM thing. Oil changes under a $100, so do it often (at least every 5000 miles)...saves a lot of problems in the long run.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote