Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 05:20 AM   #1

Key and chip

On my '97 I have the original remote key with the chip. Can I buy a new head install the key blank and move the chip to the new head without getting the chip reprogrammed?

rsiferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 AM   #2

What exactly are you trying to fix? Is the keyhead simply worn? You can buy a replacement keyhead button portion for about $15, and you reuse the key shaft, immobilizer pill, and electronics.

If something else is broken, then you would have to address that. There are 3 parts to the key in general: the key shaft itself, the immobilizer 'pill', and the remote control (door locks and alarm).
Old 10-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Key and chip

I am missing the "guts" of the key, except that the chip is in its place, ie there is no battery, nor the parts that hold the battery and energize it to activate the chip. Dealer quotes $300+ for a new head with remote while online they run $150 range.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #4

When you say the 'chip' is in place, I assume you mean the RFID immobilizer pill. This allows the car to start with the key.

The part that is broken or missing from your current key is the remote control (door locks, alarm). Buying a new key head which includes the remote electronics will run $125 or so online, but will not work on your car until your car is programmed to recognize the new remote. They will likely charge at least $100 for this programming service.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #5

Key, etc

Thanks. That answers my question. For the time being I will live with what I got.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by demick
What exactly are you trying to fix? Is the keyhead simply worn? You can buy a replacement keyhead button portion for about $15, and you reuse the key shaft, immobilizer pill, and electronics.

If something else is broken, then you would have to address that. There are 3 parts to the key in general: the key shaft itself, the immobilizer 'pill', and the remote control (door locks and alarm).
Since you have experience with these keys. I have a 97 as well and my Key FOB has a cracked plastic case. I have all the electronics inside but I would like a new case. I have had to epoxy around the edges to keep it "closed" to avoid the $300 fee for a new one. Are there any options??
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
JTP

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/986RECONTROL.html?Category_Code=986Keys
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #8

Thanks JTP. This says that is will require reprogramming by a dealer before it operates properly. If I just remove my inside components I should be fine right? So no programming needed??
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #9

If the broken part is just limited to the button half of the keyhead, you can just buy this for way less money:

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/986KEYBUTTON.html?Category_Code=986Keys

But if the other half is broken too, then you will need the whole keyhead. Kind of expensive since you don't need the electronics portion. You might be able to buy a used one on e-bay or something and transfer your electronics over.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #10

I do need the whole case as my locking tabs are broken on the current key FOB. This is a bummer for sure. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #11

What is the function of the "immobilizer pill" piece within the key fob?

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #12

If the immobilizer pill is not close enough to the sensor inside the dash, even the correct metal key will not start the car. These pills are found on most new car key heads today and have really reduced the number of car thefts.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsiferd
On my '97 I have the original remote key with the chip. Can I buy a new head install the key blank and move the chip to the new head without getting the chip reprogrammed?
Yes, if you can find a key head for cheap. You may want to troll eBay for people selling keys that look like yours. All you need is the plastic and the buttons.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

Garage
that is all there is to it. I did this since my remote was not working.

towards the bottom there is a empty space, that is where the pill goes.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote