Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #1

Thumbs up Removing air bag decals for good.

I hate having these things on my sun visors so I was going to cover them.

I accidentally discovered that isopropyl rubbing alcohol will take them off with a bit of rubbing and a paper towel.

The alcohol softens the decal ( I thought the warnings were painted on since you can see the grain of the vinyl in them) but doesn't hurt the vinyl at least it worked for me on my 2011 987.

Now I don't have to look at the bleeding things all the time!

No guarantees that it will work for you as it did for me and I can't comment how the warnings were applied on earlier year cars. Maybe those can just be peeled off.

HTH someone

J Tinsby

Last edited by J Tinsby; 10-15-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: correction
J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

air bag decals

Not sure how easy it is to remove older models, but I have seen many of these for sale on ebay. They just place a new decal over the old one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-visor-shield-decals-996-997-986-987-911-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eaeff3f0eQQitemZ20050 4459022QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #3

I have them on my car - they look great. You would have to look closely to even know that they are there.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #4

I used rubbing alcohol on mine. A little work, but looks MUCH better.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #5

Same here. (And yes, I'm aware of the irony that a lawyer was so annoyed by a simple pair of warning stickers...)
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #6

I took mine apart (i.e. I removed the plastic insert with the mirror, light, etc. from the rest of the visor) to paint over the warning labels with black spray paint. Turns out that the solvent in the spray paint completely dissolved the labels, so I used a microfiber towel to wipe off the first coat of paint and the label remains, gave each side a proper coat of black paint, and am delighted with the results.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #7

Talking That's how I discovered that alcohol takes them off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_boxster
I took mine apart (i.e. I removed the plastic insert with the mirror, light, etc. from the rest of the visor) to paint over the warning labels with black spray paint. Turns out that the solvent in the spray paint completely dissolved the labels, so I used a microfiber towel to wipe off the first coat of paint and the label remains, gave each side a proper coat of black paint, and am delighted with the results.
Hi sd_boxster,

You did exactly what I was doing and had the same result.. the paint I used on my '04 986 550 Spyder Edition visors years ago made the decal wrinkle up. I took some alcohol in desperation to remove the goo, knowing that it wouldn't hurt the vinyl. Then after I had the mess cleaned up....... I just used it to remove what was left. On the passenger side visor I started and ended with pure 91% rubbing alcohol. Took a bit of rubbing but they are GONE!

Cheers,

J Tinsby
J Tinsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #8

I used denatured alcohol on my Box, and isopropyl on wife's X5. Denatured was easier, just do not let it get on the mirror hinges.

Wet a paper towel or sponge and hold it against the decal for a few minutes to soften so less rubbing is required.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #9

Wurth Citrus Degreaser takes them right off...let it sit a bit and wipe...leaves no residue. Stuff is great for any adhesive type residue you'd care to remove, as well.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 10-19-2010 at 03:21 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote