Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #1

Nitrogen Fill for Tires at Costco

Anyone looking to put Nitrogen in their tires can get it done at Costco as long as you are a member. I just did it. Cost me only $4 per tire. :dance:

jsin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 AM   #2

What is the advantage?

What is the advantage of nitrogen? We in the army use it in helicopter tires, but I have not heard of it in cars.
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:06 AM   #3

Tire pressure is more constant when themperature change....
But I don't know if I would pay for that...
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

additional benefits

supposedly you get a little extra gas mileage and the tires themselvs last longer. worth the $16 IMO.

i've seen places charge up to $100 to do 4 tires.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
JTP

I used to get tires at Costco years ago and they used nitrogen. They didn't charge extra for it though. $4 per tire now?
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsin01
supposedly you get a little extra gas mileage and the tires themselvs last longer. worth the $16 IMO.

i've seen places charge up to $100 to do 4 tires.
Supposedly?.. compared to what? someone with AIR that don't have the proper pressure?.. :P Yeah with that optic it make sence.. :P PSI for PSI I don't belive it make any difference to have Air or Nitrogen...

I should start selling sticker on ebay telling "Keep this tire at 36 PSI", telling it help saving gaz and getting better millage out of tires..

Last edited by vipola; 10-14-2010 at 11:17 AM.
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #7

Popular mechanics quote on N2 Tire Fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipola
Supposedly?.. compared to what? someone with AIR that don't have the proper pressure?.. :P Yeah with that optic it make sence.. :P PSI for PSI I don't belive it make any difference to have Air or Nitrogen...
From popular mechanics: With nitrogen, your tire pressures will remain more constant, saving you a small amount in fuel and tire-maintenance costs. There will be less moisture inside your tires, meaning less corrosion on your wheels.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I used to get tires at Costco years ago and they used nitrogen. They didn't charge extra for it though. $4 per tire now?
If you buy the tires from them, N2 fill up is free for life. If not, you pay $4 per tire one time charge. Anytime after that where you need a fill-up, its free (unless you've mixed the N2 with straight air at anytime after your last N2 fill-up).

I believe the reason for this is that the first time you get N2, they hook the tires up to a machine that deflates the tire, fills it with N2, deflates it again, and refills it a second time to make sure that there is all N2 and no O2. Time = money and since it takes more time the first time, they charge.